EVGA Blames GeForce RTX 3090 New World Failures on Soldering Issue

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
evga-geforce-rtx-3090-ftw3-angled-black-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: EVGA

Amazon’s New World MMO stirred up a bit of controversy back in July when numerous beta testers accused the game of frying their expensive graphics cards. A large portion of the cards affected seemed to be GeForce RTX 3090 models from EVGA, and now, the company has explained why.

In a statement to PCWorld, EVGA blamed the failure of its GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards while running New World on a “rare soldering issue.” An X-ray analysis revealed that the affected cards had “poor workmanship” on soldering around the MOSFET circuits.

EVGA did not elaborate on how many GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards it has sold thus far but estimated that the problematic batch represents less than 1 percent of what’s been shipped. All of the failures reported to the company involved GeForce RTX 3090 models despite allegations that New World was bricking all...

Continue reading...

Plausible.

They fixed it. They didn't blame the user or the reviewer. They announced a root cause when they didn't have to say anything further on this issue at all. I'll give them a passing grade on this one.

Ya, they had the RMA train up and running pretty fast too.

Thru all the GPU misery we had EVGA has at least kept prices close to MSRP and customer service on course.

They are always the first option for me. Now gimme MITX B550 EVGA plx....Or any MITX MB actually.

Ya, they had the RMA train up and running pretty fast too.
That's EVGA for yah. Reminds me of when the GeForce 7900 GT had hella overheating vRAM (which was uncooled), among other issues I don't recall anymore, and we got crazy artifacting and polygon spearing in-game. EVGA already knew, and they were ready. Replaced my 7900GT with a slightly faster 7950GT (which had a larger all-copper heatsink that covered the vRAM). That was back when I was running an nForce 4 board with an overclocked Opteron 165. I still have most of my graphics cards, but I don't know where that 7950GT is. I gotta find it.

I can't speak for others, but for me and a lot of people I know, EVGA was always the best when it came to customer service and RMA procedures.

They are always the first option for me.
When I buy nVidia, I only buy from EVGA. Wish they were also an option for Radeons.

Plausible.

They fixed it. They didn't blame the user or the reviewer. They announced a root cause when they didn't have to say anything further on this issue at all. I'll give them a passing grade on this one.
So rare to see any large company own it like that anymore.

EVGA is basically the best company to deal with concerning RMA's in my experience.

Shame they mostly seems to ignore Europe, we can buy via their webstite, but they ship from Taiwan, although you can find the odd product on some webshops.

Become a Patron!
Back