FCC Begins Requiring Broadband Providers to Display “Nutrition Labels” to Help Consumers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The FCC has adopted new rules that require broadband providers to display easy-to-understand labels to help consumers more easily comparison shop for broadband services.

See full article...

"Typical latency" "typical download speed".

Jeez. Don't they think this might just be dependent on what is on the other end, and not just the service being provided?

Jeez. Don't they think this might just be dependent on what is on the other end, and not just the service being provided?

Maybe if you are lucky and have GB+ Fiber, that might be an issue.

I'm sure it will be caveated as "Measured at the router", not end user device. I know the Starlink app makes a very clear distinction between what the speed between the satellite (router) is, and the speed your end device is able to see; which is somewhat pertinent now that the latest generation of Dishy is WiFi-only (unless you buy a RJ45 dongle seperately)

Well even if there are loopholes or some details that can affect the endpoint I'm glad they're doing this. My stomach cringes every time I hear someone say they got offered broadband and was told it was blazingly fast, or some such, but didn't have any #s, and then it turn out to be ~30-50 Mbps. We can't help those who may not fully understand the ramifications of the specs but at least it will be in print.

Reminds of me my dial-up days through the early 2000s. Paid for 56k and was lucky if I saw 6k. I currently have a 800/30 connection with Comcast and have seen some days where it's below but most moments when I need it are at or more than those #s but I know most people are not so fortunate to live within a mile or two of the CO.

Become a Patron!
Back