First Core i9-10900K Review Pits Intel’s Flagship Processor Against AMD’s Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-10th-gen-core-i9-box-hardware-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

The embargo for Comet Lake-S hasn’t lifted yet, but China’s TecLab (via VideoCardz) has gone ahead and published the world’s first review of Intel’s latest flagship processor, the Core i9-10900K. As some of you might have suspected, the 10C/20T chip is largely outclassed in the multi-threaded arena by AMD’s own flagships, the Ryzen 9 3900X and 3950X, which offer two and six more cores, respectively. Intel’s Core i9-10900K does manage to put up a decent fight for gaming and lighter-threaded tasks, however...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The pricing there doesn't seem to jive with this earlier leak....

Early-adopter tax, perhaps. I got the pricing from B&H.

...I think I'll just pull the price from the title, since I'm seeing various prices...Newegg has it listed for $529...

That wattage is too **** high.
I mean I get its a fast part in gaming but I just feel smarter getting more cores at less wattage for a cheaper price mind you (3900x).
I do get this for like an EXTREME gaming system but for me personally I would rather a more well rounded EXTREME system.

In my testing of the 10900K the total system pulled 305w (GPU idle) and 200w package power. The Ryzen 9 3950X pulled 381w or something like that, and I don't recall what the package power was or if it showed that. AIDA64 shows less information for AMD CPU's in that area. I haven't tried HWInfo on it. In any case, the 3950X certainly pulls even more power when going all out on a manual overclock of 4.3GHz. However, you get a lot more cores and threads for that. Thus, a lot more performance for the power cost.

I thought for a results comparison that they were good processors. Each has benefits that place it in a specific segment.

I will say that since I have the 3900x I'm looking to do streaming more and more. I just don't think a bear of a fat man streaming with Man Cleavage would get that many subscribers. ;)

In my testing of the 10900K the total system pulled 305w (GPU idle) and 200w package power. The Ryzen 9 3950X pulled 381w or something like that, and I don't recall what the package power was or if it showed that. AIDA64 shows less information for AMD CPU's in that area. I haven't tried HWInfo on it. In any case, the 3950X certainly pulls even more power when going all out on a manual overclock of 4.3GHz. However, you get a lot more cores and threads for that. Thus, a lot more performance for the power cost.
Yeah its power efficient Hence my point. Also Overclocked the 10900k can pull serious wattage as well. but with 6 less cores it still pulling more wattage. Its fine to give Intel some **** for the wattage, not like AMD didnt get it for years too.

Yeah its power efficient Hence my point. Also Overclocked the 10900k can pull serious wattage as well. but with 6 less cores it still pulling more wattage. Its fine to give Intel some **** for the wattage, not like AMD didnt get it for years too.

Its worth noting that at 14nm, the power curve gets considerably worse as you add cores. The Core i9-10980XE is horrendous as you increase the clock speeds. It can pull more than a lot of entire systems all by itself.

Become a Patron!
Back