Flash Executive Predicts HDDs Will No Longer Be Sold after 2028: “We Are At the End of That Era”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Some people have begun promoting the idea that hard drives will go extinct in just a few years. Speaking to Blocks & Files, Shawn Rosemarin, Vice President of R&D within the Customer Engineering unit at Pure Storage, a flash memory company, gave some of his predictions about the future of storage, making the bold claim that no more hard drives will be sold after 2028. Rosemarin believes that the demise of HDDs is inevitable because of their higher electricity demands, which don't mesh with the quotas that more and more countries are apparently setting, among other reasons.

See full article...

I call bullshit, unless we get some disk(flash) based hardware level encryption going... you won't see spinning disks go away completely.

It will be SEVERELY reduced, or security requirements will be such that bitlocker or the equivalent is enough.

I dont see price and data density being there in 5 years.

Its not like hard drives arnt also still in development and getting better every year.

I wonder what new disruptive technology is headed our way to obviate both SSD's and HD's?

It's possible that datacenters will move to SSDs, but not entirely and not in 4 years. And there are other uses where power consumption isn't a significant factor like cold storage and backups. I don't see that market drying up for HDDs, unless they are still price gouging flash memory and he knows they could sell them much cheaper than they currently do.

For desktops / home use? Maybe. For datacenter / mass storage? Not likely. And like Brian mentioned, tape is still a thing.

We have some AFA (all flash arrays) SAN units at work.... but they are more costly and store considerably less than the disk SANs. They have their place though, for high IOPS stuff like massive databases. Just not needed everywhere.

Anyone still using floppies or punch cards? Well I know in the whole world that is a yes, I am asking more specific to here? Oh and other than I.

Anyone still using floppies or punch cards? Well I know in the whole world that is a yes, I am asking more specific to here? Oh and other than I.
I mean I still have some and a usb floppy drive.... but I don't think I've touched them in the last 15 years

Anyone still using floppies or punch cards?
Funny you should ask. For my job, no but I was just training somebody on a database that we still have to use and it has a 3.5" icon for the export menu. Heck, at this point I personally try to avoid even having SATA, and/or optical, drives but I know that's an ocd thing.

LOL

Not going to happen in datacenters. Not for a long long time. Flash has two issues. Density and cost. Show me viable 20+ TB SSD's at similar cost to HDD's and I'll bite. I just don't see that happening in 4 years.

I can get a 600 TB - 1 PB HDD shelf right now for the cost of a 250 TB SSD flash shelf. There's no way the delta is going to close in 4 years.

Uhhh. I wouldn't say that. Today there are very expensive mom generic 32 tb nvme ssd drives from Samsung you can get. In 5 years I could see that in a relatable more geneic drive setup with 1 pb in a 2 u drawer. But... It would still be expensive. In 10 years 1pb will probably be down to a single enterprise drive.

No way, dude. Wooden-state punched-card drives (WSPCDs) are the future of storage.* Why? Software developers (especially those that work with filesystems) are already comfortable working with trees, branches, and leaves, so it's only logical to conclude that a paper-based storage medium is optimal. WSPCDs are also biodegradable and can be recycled, so they're environmentally friendly. Connectivity is defined by the Paper Express Host Controller Interface (PEHCI) specification. Version 1.0 of the specification is available in hardcover or can be downloaded and printed on paper locally.

Every so often someone from their respective storage industry makes an outlandish prediction (e.g., we're all going to return to spinning rust by 2030) and somehow it becomes news. It's just a way to generate free publicity for their business.

*Full disclosure: I'm a suicidal tree.

Up to a few years ago, I don't know the exact date. The official media for submitting certain data to my government was still using Floppies.

I finally got away from floppies two years ago - had a system that required a floppy for licensing activation on a Win2K machine - royal pain in the ***. Although to their credit we were getting like 6-7 years of life out of a single floppy. The system is still there, just our contract to operate it expired, so someone out there is still using that floppy, just isn't me any more.

Become a Patron!
Back