Forspoken PC Specs and Features Revealed, including 32:9 Ultra-Widescreen Support and AMD FSR 2

Are you on dial up?
LAWLZ! Verizon FiOS (since 2013), which I admit is a lot more reliable than Comcast had been for me from the early 2000s up until 2013. With Comcast, regular service outages (and long-lasting ones) were the norm.

I've read that the PS4's BD drive can do 27 MB/sec CAV, which is about 226.5 Mbps. That's over 100 Mbps faster than my Internet connection.

DVD is about 5 times slower than my internet connection best case scenario. BD-DL is about 2x slower, absolute best case.
How fast is your Internet connection?!

When I had 2.5Gbit fiber (scaled back to 1Gbit)
Wooooow, must have been nice!

could download at that speed from Steam and Origin at least.
Yeah on PC stuff like Steam can hit the full speed of the Internet connection. With Xbox Live and PS Network, I see 30-60 Mbps, towards the higher end of that range if it's a good day or I'm lucky.

Last edited:
I've read that the PS4's BD drive can do 27 MB/sec CAV,
Yeah, that's about the theoretical maximum for PC drives as well, but in practice it is slower usually, not that I have any PC games that came out on BD, I've been buying strictly digital for many years.
How fast is your Internet connection?!
500Mbit, It's not even the fastest option with my provider. I could upgrade to 1Gbit for 25% more, but I see no reason, it is more than fast enough for now.

I'm running 1 gig fiber and I can download from a fast source at about 110megabytes per second, right at that 1 gigabit limit.

And for me that's plenty fast to install games.

I was a holdout for a long time for physical media. Now I just don't care unless it's a title I want the special collectors edition stuff for. And I haven't wanted that in a long while. Well I would have done it for the package that came with the Jacket for CP2077 but that sold out super fast and was crazy expensive.

I don't get it. I have CP2077 and I didn't notice any special 4gb chunks.

Its only bad if you download it from their website. Downloading the offline installers via the launcher app is usually a one click deal and the app is much faster for me than the website. Browser tops out at 5-6MB/s per file, 15 MB/s total. That is on a comcast gigabit line. The app usually downloads things at 40-60MB/s.

Yeah on PC stuff like Steam can hit the full speed of the Internet connection. With Xbox Live and PS Network, I see 30-60 Mbps, towards the higher end of that range if it's a good day or I'm lucky.

Yeah PSN is stupidly slow compared to Steam for.... reasons? Sony doesn't want to spend more? If I have to install a big PS game, I better get that sh!t started about 3-4 hours before I want to start playing. Even optical isn't much better bc there are always 100gb day zero patches on games now. And PS5 is not any better than PS4, and my gig Fios isn't the problem.... no matter what Sony says

Got to wonder what this is about. Only GoG game I'm playing at the moment is The Witcher 3 (now with RT), is there something peculiar to how GoG does game data distribution?
GOG splits its files into segments of 4 GB, but this is probably only noticed by those using the old-school offline installers, like me. I concluded that most people must be using the Galaxy client when I saw the size of The Witcher 3 update. Incidentally, the "classic" installers were still available from the download menu in the "extras" section.

GOG splits its files into segments of 4 GB, but this is probably only noticed by those using the old-school offline installers, like me. I concluded that most people must be using the Galaxy client when I saw the size of The Witcher 3 update. Incidentally, the "classic" installers were still available from the download menu in the "extras" section.
LOL, well it just clicked. Those Classic installers are just DVD ISO images that they are doing the install with. LOL

Meaning if you located them, probably renamed them, you could make your own installer Disk set.

Me, too. I don't use their Galaxy client except in the rarest of circumstances ... say when a game I'm playing gets a critical bug-fix update but the offline installers will take an extra day or two before they're available.

I purchased and downloaded the offline installers for Middle Earth: Shadow of War, including the free optional extra 4k texture packs. The directory is 153GB. I'm yet to play it, but that is another matter altogether. I have a few other games from there that I cringe whenever a new patch or update is released because I prefer not to clutter up my archives with patch files, opting instead to replace my archived downloads with the full suite of current full installers.

Not me. I'd rather install from physical, local media.
Even when I was on ***-slow barely-better-than-dialup radio link, I still preferred digital download.

What you say about local media isn't wrong: it would often take me 2-3 days to download something large, I can't even fathom 150GB - probably a week. I could get 1GB/hr if the weather was good over night during off-peak time; during daylight hours, it was much lower.

But even at that... don't forget the Day 0 patches that are often as large as the game install. I stopped doing physical installs all together because they did not save me any time at all - you are better off waiting 1-4 weeks, letting the Day 0 patch drop, then downloading the game anyway.

That, and lately, a lot of physical media today just consists of the launcher on a CD, which is going to redirect you to some sort of download anyway.

Last edited:
Really my biggest issue with disc games was the DRM, I always downloaded the nocd crack for all of my games as soon as possible. But that made updating a problem, because to update you needed to restore the original exe, then wait for the nocd to come for the updated version if it ever came, as less popular games usually didn't get a nocd beyond v1.00.

...a lot of physical media today just consists of the launcher on a CD...
Well on PC yeah, not on console. I mainly use consoles as an example cuz like most of you, I've been digital-only on PC for the longest time. And even before stuff like Steam and GOG, I made use of "community demos" so I was already used to keeping a library of digital games long before digital games took off. The only experience I've had installing games from blu-ray discs was on PS4 and XB1, so those are my primary examples. And back when those systems came out, installing games from the discs was much faster than downloading games for me (I was still on Comcast at the time). Of course the day 0 patches have only gotten bigger and more common since then, so yeah you make a good point. Was never usually a problem for me though cuz I almost never play games at or even near launch. Usually months or years would go by before I touched a game, and by then they already had a ton of patches. So yeah, easier quicker downloads by that point.

I wish when games got updated that new discs would be pressed with the updated code on them. Would be nice to have a much more up-to-date physical copy, like say if you bought a game a few years after launch. Back in the cartridge days, the only way to update a game was to put out a new cartridge. If someone wanted an updated version of a game, they had to buy it all over again. Like Donkey Kong Country 2, which had a v1.1 release at some point after v1.0. I hated v1.1 cuz there were a lot of little small changes that made the game much harder. I couldn't beat v1.1 but I beat v1.0 no problem. Sadly I only own the v1.1 cartridge, so I had to use a friend's v1.0 cartridge (and when I grabbed the ROM for emulation use, I made sure it was v1.0). Or how about Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where a later cartridge version changed red blood to green (among other changes)?

On Switch, developers have been known to not pay for the largest Switch cartridges (which were 32GB) and instead use the smaller-capacity ones, put just some of the game on there, and make you have to download the rest. That means the cartridges aren't really offline and standalone (ignoring game updates that would need to be downloaded anyways). 30 years from now when Switch online services are no longer running, you'll stick that cartridge in your Switch and won't be able to play jack sh1t, cuz the whole game isn't on there, and you can't download the rest of it. Of course by then you should be using a modded console and sourcing your games from the community anyways.

Since you reminded me about it, it really used to piss me off when you buy a physical copy of a game, only to discover there is just a download code in the box, or the disc doesn't really have sh1t on it. At that point, why even bother with a physical copy? Also whatever happened to digital versions of games being cheaper than physical versions because they didn't have to print manuals, discs, boxes, etc? Most of the time I find the opposite to be true, where the physical copies are cheaper. Almost all my PS4 games are physical copies, and I paid no more than $10 for each of them (except one) brand-new. But on the PSN Store all those games were full f*cking price, and when they've gone on sale, I've never seem them as cheap as $10.

Really my biggest issue with disc games was the DRM, I always downloaded the nocd crack for all of my games as soon as possible. But that made updating a problem, because to update you needed to restore the original exe, then wait for the nocd to come for the updated version if it ever came, as less popular games usually didn't get a nocd beyond v1.00.
Yupz, I remember those days very well, and I don't miss them at all. All my games were using No-CD/No-DVD cracks. Those things were lifesavers at LANParties though (install the game on everyone's systems using the same disc/set of discs). And yeah I made backups of the original exes so I could restore them to patch the games, and then yeah we had to wait for new No-CD/DVD cracks to cover the patched versions of those games. On consoles where you install games from physical media, it always annoyed the f*ck outta me that to play those games I still had to stick the discs in the drive (well, unless you modded your console). Of course it was for DRM purposes, but it's an inconvenience to the user. That's all DRM ever is anyways.

Physical media for games is dead. Accept it. They couldn't put them on BluRay since most people don't have a BluRay drive in their PC. Hell, 99% of prebuilt's laptops these day don't even come with a DVD drive. And who the hell wants to play disc jockey anymore with 10-15 DVD's to install a single game only to have to download a 50-100 GB day one patch?

Most people have decent copper or fiber based internet these days. And if that's not an option there is always Starlink.

LOL, well it just clicked. Those Classic installers are just DVD ISO images that they are doing the install with. LOL

Meaning if you located them, probably renamed them, you could make your own installer Disk set.
Heh, a bit of clarification is in order: the "classic" installers that I was referring to pertained specifically to The Witcher 3. They correspond to the version of the game prior to the next-gen update, and are (or were) located in the "extras" section of the download menu that is accessible from the site using an ordinary web browser. There was some confusion about how to install the original version of the game without GOG's Galaxy client, and I believe that's where I first encountered the "classic" reference. (Perhaps that's how it's labelled in the Galaxy client?) I'm surprised that the The Witcher 3: Next Generation is offered as the default download option, as it sounds like it has some serious issues, mostly related to performance, though I haven't tried it myself.

That's probably more information than anyone wanted to know.
Me, too. I don't use their Galaxy client except in the rarest of circumstances ... say when a game I'm playing gets a critical bug-fix update but the offline installers will take an extra day or two before they're available.

I purchased and downloaded the offline installers for Middle Earth: Shadow of War, including the free optional extra 4k texture packs. The directory is 153GB. I'm yet to play it, but that is another matter altogether.
It's funny you should mention Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I came very close to buying it during a recent GOG sale, but decided against it after reading complaints that the game was left in a state that depended on excessive grinding — a vestige from the inclusion of microtransactions and loot boxes in the game's initial release. I'm not sure I fully understood the issues or their severity, and I haven't completely ruled out purchasing it at a later date. In fact, that just changed to "I probably will buy it" in the course of less than a minute, after giving it some more thought. It was inexpensive enough that it's worth the risk. Hmm... Maybe a thread in the underused PC Gaming section of the forums is warranted.
Since you reminded me about it, it really used to piss me off when you buy a physical copy of a game, only to discover there is just a download code in the box, or the disc doesn't really have sh1t on it. At that point, why even bother with a physical copy? Also whatever happened to digital versions of games being cheaper than physical versions because they didn't have to print manuals, discs, boxes, etc? Most of the time I find the opposite to be true, where the physical copies are cheaper. Almost all my PS4 games are physical copies, and I paid no more than $10 for each of them (except one) brand-new. But on the PSN Store all those games were full f*cking price, and when they've gone on sale, I've never seem them as cheap as $10.
I'm of the impression that the primary value of Blu-ray drives on current consoles is access to a competitive marketplace, which also includes the trade of "used" games. Otherwise, the owner is forced to pay whatever Sony (using your example of the PSN Store) is able to get away with charging, as you've observed. A small number of buyers might actually value possession of the game box as a collectible object, but I think most treat them as tokens granting participation to a larger market, as described above. So physical copies are not worthless, but they are silly, because the contents of the disc are no longer relevant. This doesn't apply to PC games, where physical copies are both worthless and silly. 😉

Consoles equipped with Blu-ray drives have an additional value that I learned from the recent "potential Blu-ray successor" thread: the drive-equipped models are desired by some for their ability to serve as standalone Blu-ray players, which have apparently become rare and expensive.

It's funny you should mention Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I came very close to buying it during a recent GOG sale, but decided against it after reading complaints that the game was left in a state that depended on excessive grinding — a vestige from the inclusion of microtransactions and loot boxes in the game's initial release. I'm not sure I fully understood the issues or their severity, and I haven't completely ruled out purchasing it at a later date. In fact, that just changed to "I probably will buy it" in the course of less than a minute, after giving it some more thought. It was inexpensive enough that it's worth the risk. Hmm... Maybe a thread in the underused PC Gaming section of the forums is warranted.

I nabbed it for free on GOG and played through it. Didn't feel grindy to me, but honestly I enjoy some grind sometimes so I might not be the best opinion on that. Grind is that mindless go kill **** for points stuff that you do when you want to turn the brain off.

I nabbed it for free on GOG and played through it. Didn't feel grindy to me, but honestly I enjoy some grind sometimes so I might not be the best opinion on that. Grind is that mindless go kill **** for points stuff that you do when you want to turn the brain off.
When was it free on GOG? I understand what you mean about grindy. For this type of game in particular, it wouldn't concern me unless it's excessive. I'm not sure how well I described the issue(s), but you didn't mention anything terrible about it. I'll count that as a positive. :)

I'm surprised that the The Witcher 3: Next Generation is offered as the default download option, as it sounds like it has some serious issues, mostly related to performance, though I haven't tried it myself.
Just finished the main campaign; using FSR2 to make it playable at 4k on an RX6800 with RT on. Had a few crashes over the ~100 hours of playtime, both on the RX6800 and on a 3080 12GB.

I've played a bit of Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, and from reviews and comparisons of the two games, many people who have played both prefer Mordor over War but claim the main game loop is basically the same but with a different plot. I probably have a few tens of hours into Shadow of Mordor, and found it a little bit grindy after a while. I'm not really a LotR fanboi, so ... /shrug, but killing orcs is rewarding on its own merits. The plot premise in support of the game mechanics takes a bit of suspension of disbelief and I'm not the one to claim with any sense of authority on whether it is canon. But it is a decent enough stealth action button masher.

Is there anything procedurally produced in a game anymore? Yes yes 4k textures, but how many textures? Textures for the whole game? What every single hair has its own texture ?

Become a Patron!
Back