Forspoken Receives Lukewarm Reviews on Eve of Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Forspoken may not be the huge hit that Square Enix was anticipating. According to initial reviews of the game that went live today, the new fantasy RPG from Luminous Productions could have turned out better, with many critics pointing out its alleged shortcomings, which seemingly include a poor story, short length, unlikable main character, dull open world, and gameplay system that really only shines later in the adventure. One publication goes so far as to suggest that Forspoken may be 2023's worst game, while another described it as a "magical world without wonder," although some have tried to be positive, calling it a true next-gen experience that features great visuals.

See full article...

Who said it features great visuals? Just so I know to avoid that publication. Good visuals doesn't just mean high res textures and high poly models, but a consistent graphical design and authentic look. Forspoken looks disjointed with visuals that make zero sense, like buildings with no weathering whatsoever. Or scenery that is as drab as it gets. With magical effects that feel otherworldy, not in a good way, but in a way that it doesn't belong in there.

Who said it features great visuals? Just so I know to avoid that publication. Good visuals doesn't just mean high res textures and high poly models, but a consistent graphical design and authentic look. Forspoken looks disjointed with visuals that make zero sense, like buildings with no weathering whatsoever. Or scenery that is as drab as it gets. With magical effects that feel otherworldy, not in a good way, but in a way that it doesn't belong in there.
I get what you are saying... considering that was the ONLY positive spin in the entire blurb posted in the forum it's like you're annoyed anyone put a positive spin at all.

Yeah, I remember hearing good things about its visuals as well and I admit the trailer did have some flash/sparkle to it but something didn't quite seem right. I couldn't really put my finger on it.

Meanwhile, I went ahead and pre-ordered the Dead Space remake this morning. I don't by any means expect a perfect day one for it but otherwise, have good feelings it won't launch as a train wreck either. I also wanted to make sure to get the 2nd game as part of the promo just to have it outside of EA.

Well, today is that actual release date so reviews from people who actually paid for it should be popping up and I trust those a lot more than any advanced stuff. I look at both and take each into consideration for games I have doubts about, but the customer's reviews tend to be a bit more revealing in terms of the actual experience.

...I went ahead and pre-ordered the Dead Space remake this morning...
I just can't get behind pre-ordering, and spending money on games before one even knows what the games are like (and what condition they are in). In the last decade+ I even switched from just waiting for reviews and patches and word-of-mouth among actual users to actually waiting until I get hands-on time myself. Whether that means borrowing games, using "community demos", checking out a friend's copy, being gifted a game, or what-have-you, I have found more and more over the years that I really can't tell if a game is worth purchasing for me until I get some good hands-on time with it. I need to be d4mn sure about a game before I throw cash that the devs and publishers. I do hope though that you are pleased with your purchase when the Dead Space remake launches.

Another reason I avoid pre-ordering (or getting games anywhere near launch) is cuz f*ck those prices. $60+ for your game? Get the f*ck outta here with that sh1t. I'll come sniffing around again when your game is $20 or less (preferably much less).

I just can't get behind pre-ordering, and spending money on games before one even knows what the games are like (and what condition they are in). In the last decade+ I even switched from just waiting for reviews and patches and word-of-mouth among actual users to actually waiting until I get hands-on time myself. Whether that means borrowing games, using "community demos", checking out a friend's copy, being gifted a game, or what-have-you, I have found more and more over the years that I really can't tell if a game is worth purchasing for me until I get some good hands-on time with it. I need to be d4mn sure about a game before I throw cash that the devs and publishers. I do hope though that you are pleased with your purchase when the Dead Space remake launches.

Another reason I avoid pre-ordering (or getting games anywhere near launch) is cuz f*ck those prices. $60+ for your game? Get the f*ck outta here with that sh1t. I'll come sniffing around again when your game is $20 or less (preferably much less).
My gut has mostly served me well. I think in the last 10 years there's only been a small handful, maybe 1-2 games I preordered and ended up not getting into. I think it was No Man's Sky and Death Stranding. However, there are a bit more that I got after release, sometimes up to a year, that I have regrets with.

I'm really into this franchise and want to support them but have also liked what I've seen and heard so far. I even like parts of the 3rd game but was part of the crowd who complained about them not upgrading the engine for it.

Prices, yeah, they suck. $50-70 is the reason I usually only get maybe 1 or 2 a year, and sometimes not even that but if the game is good enough I'll put 100-300 hours into it with replays so I figure I get it back over time. I didn't pre-order RE3 but I do feel a bit ripped off for lack content. Same for the Village DLC. I also regret getting Monster Hunter Rise but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Conan Exiles, the same.

I get what you are saying... considering that was the ONLY positive spin in the entire blurb posted in the forum it's like you're annoyed anyone put a positive spin at all.
Of course I'm annoyed. If I see with my own eyes that it is a turd and someone is trying to tell me, no it's actually cupcakes.

I don't understand why put a positive spin on it?

Become a Patron!
Back