Found the Hyper 212 EVO's Limit

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently working on a series of cooler reviews that we have in the backlog. I've got a new cooling rig designed with the Thermaltake Core P5 "case" and I'm using the Intel 10980XE as the heat generator for the testing. I figured it would be nice to have some comparison data from a known commodity, so I ordered a fresh Hyper 212 EVO so I could have some good comparison data on hand.

Let's just say this went fairly poorly. Running Cinebench R20 at stock speeds (3.8GHz All-Core) managed to send temps up to 98c and by the second pass thermal throttling kicked in.

I suppose I'll want to rethink the platform for testing aircoolers, however, this chip seems great with the AIOs. I'll just say that that the first AIO on deck makes a claim that it can handle 500W+ loads and the 10980XE delivers just that at 4.7GHz All-Core. 🔥

20200526_154621.jpg

I'm currently working on a series of cooler reviews that we have in the backlog. I've got a new cooling rig designed with the Thermaltake Core P5 "case" and I'm using the Intel 10980XE as the heat generator for the testing. I figured it would be nice to have some comparison data from a known commodity, so I ordered a fresh Hyper 212 EVO so I could have some good comparison data on hand.

Let's just say this went fairly poorly. Running Cinebench R20 at stock speeds (3.8GHz All-Core) managed to send temps up to 98c and by the second pass thermal throttling kicked in.

I suppose I'll want to rethink the platform for testing aircoolers, however, this chip seems great with the AIOs. I'll just say that that the first AIO on deck makes a claim that it can handle 500W+ loads and the 10980XE delivers just that at 4.7GHz All-Core. 🔥

View attachment 304
Looking good, cant wait to see this 500W AIO reviewed by the team here!

****!

I never did try the 212 on my 1950x when I had it, I just went ahead and opted to buy a TR4 specific cooler for it, but now I kind of wish I would have just to see what it would have done.

****!

I never did try the 212 on my 1950x when I had it, I just went ahead and opted to buy a TR4 specific cooler for it, but now I kind of wish I would have just to see what it would have done.

The 1950x has far more surface area to cover than the 10980XE - the 212 barely covers the Intel chip, no way it would cover the TR....

Yeah I know, those CPUs are huge, but so are the G34 CPUs and it cooled those without an issue. Granted, the TR uses more power than the G34 chips.

Reactions: _k_
Well, given that the 212 was first introduced in what, 2007?

It probably deserves some sort of award if it's just now hitting a wall on the high end chips.

I've used them in half a dozen builds.

Were the top fins blisteringly hot, or was there so much load the heat pipes quit working?

Were the top fins blisteringly hot, or was there so much load the heat pipes quit working?

I think it simply killed the pipes. Total load was likely around 200w...

If I get bored I may give the push pull a shot, but I'm not optimistic.

I think it simply killed the pipes. Total load was likely around 200w...

If I get bored I may give the push pull a shot, but I'm not optimistic.
I would guess the same - the fins aren’t wide enough that a second fan will make a difference. A higher CFM fan will probably do it though

I would guess the same - the fins aren’t wide enough that a second fan will make a difference. A higher CFM fan will probably do it though

The exhaust air was not at all warmed....

Heat pipes function through having a tiny bit of water inside of them - it's essentially a miniature, Extremely Closed waterloop.
The pipe heats up, the water soaks up the heat, vapourizes - then condenses thanks to being cooled down by the finstack Not-Radiator.
If a heat pipe is oversaturated with heat, the water is converted to vapour - but practically no air cooling can cool down the copper pipe quickly enough for the liquid to re-enter a liquid state.

In such a scenario, you've essentially reduced your fancy heatpipe-heatsink combo into its primordial Big Hunk of Metal state.
Big hunks of metal aren't particularly adept at cooling, as one might notice by any high-performance air cooler relying on heatpipes to do the dirty deeds.

Solving the problem of Oversaturation is what something like this thingamabob seeks to accomplish;

Yeah, thermalsyphons sound cool, I hope they make it to market soon enough to actually be tested... And I hope they are not as dust averse as they look. :ROFLMAO:

Become a Patron!
Back