FTC Sues to Block Microsoft’s $69 Billion Acquisition of Activision Blizzard

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Federal Trade Commission has sued to block Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard, alleging that the Windows and Xbox maker would gain control of top video game franchises, allowing it to harm competition in the high-performance gaming console and subscription services market by denying or degrading rivals' access to popular content:

See full article...

My guess --

ActiBliz splits back into smaller companies - MS grabs just the portions they wanted (which, knowing MS, is probably King =/ ) and get it at a much reduced price. Embracer snags some choice bits - say most of Bliz, and Activision ends up over at Tencent. EA and Ubi both pout that they didn't think of splitting up first, and make half hearted attempts to pick up some pieces, and maybe snag a studio here or there, but not anything of note.

FTC and EU call it a win - for everyone else it's way worse than it would have been just all going to Microsoft.

My guess --

ActiBliz splits back into smaller companies - MS grabs just the portions they wanted (which, knowing MS, is probably King =/ ) and get it at a much reduced price. Embracer snags some choice bits - say most of Bliz, and Activision ends up over at Tencent. EA and Ubi both pout that they didn't think of splitting up first, and make half hearted attempts to pick up some pieces, and maybe snag a studio here or there, but not anything of note.

FTC and EU call it a win - for everyone else it's way worse than it would have been just all going to Microsoft.
Sounds like the makings for a streaming docu-movie. Coming soon to Netflix!

Its just the FTC acting like they would do something not in favor of the big corporations. Do a little song and dance grab some headlines, maybe some meaningless changes, then move on. If these were smaller players I wouldn't be so sure about this, but with trillion dollar company investing billions, that's all this is. Theyll let the billions in peace. Besides, I don't even know why anyone cares, this is solely entertainment, and nothing else. I am struggling to see how anyone really cares, when they don't with more important things like cellphones or internet, things like these.

Last edited:
The FTC should allow the acquisition, but only after Microsoft completes a sentence of community service that includes the removal of all dark patterns and intrusive advertising/spyware from Windows, and agrees to stop forcing disruptive and buggy updates on its users every other month that introduce major changes to the OS. Microsoft further agrees to never again attempt to trick users into signing up for a Microsoft account during installation, and is forbidden from making a Microsoft account a requirement of the OS.

Become a Patron!
Back