Fungus in Space at the International Space Station

IceDigger

Quasi-regular
Do you have bad dreams about space and molds? Jell-O Molds? Jell-O Jiggler Molds?

So do the astronauts on the International Space Station.

The astronauts spend a lot of time cleaning spores/molds/fungus off of everything on the space station and outside the space station also. Yes, you heard that, outside too.

"The spores — which astronauts spend hours cleaning every week — can survive X-ray exposure at 200 times the dosage that would kill a human being, according to Marta Cortesao, a microbiologist at the German Aerospace Centre in Cologne, who is presenting the research.

And that's not all. The common mould spores found on the ISS — aspergillus and penicillium — can also survive extreme temperatures, ultraviolet light, chemicals and dry conditions. Their resilience not only makes it harder to clean, but more likely to survive long-term.
" - CBC

So they are now looking for practical uses for the nuisances.

Could this be the start of a mutant fungus apocalypes?

Or could this lead to many a scientific breakthroughs like most stuff the space agencies do and trickle down to consumer use?

I said it was a stupid idea but my girlfriend insisted we sneak in and have fun and a picnic on the wings of Columbia.
Looks like we left some cheese ...

I dunno, while there's probably some powerful medicine to be developed with Space Fungus, I'd be concerned about mutating our domestic sicknesses into something extra deadly.

Or, that Space Fungus turns out to be similar to the killer fungus from Last of Us.

Either way, there's probably a business opportunity to be had for cleaning space stations.

Sounds like the makings of a super hero origin story.
1. Life form in space(albeit from Earth) -check!
2. Radiation -check!
3. Clueless test subject and accident -TBD

Become a Patron!
Back