GALAX RTX 4090 HOF PCB Pictured, Confirming It Is the World’s First AD102-300 GPU with Dual 16-Pin Power Connectors

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
After months of rumors, the GALAX RTX 4090 HOF PCB has been spotted confirming that it does indeed feature 2x 16-pin 12VHPWR connectors.

See full article...

So you need, 8x 8 pin PCIE power connectors for it? Is that even a thing on any currently sold PSUs?
A couple of ideas. An ATX 3.0 with one connector connected to the 16-pin and the other connected via the 4x pin adapter or 2 PSUs. Still though, plain and simple bonkers. I don't think they're out yet but I could see an ATX 3.0 1600-2000 Watt PSU with 2x 16-pin ports.

That exceeds the specification for the 8-pin PCIe cable/adapter. The minimum rating is only 150W per 8-pin cable: so for most applications, if you are using a PCIe to HIPWR adapter, you will need 4 PCIe cables to meet the 600W capacity of the HIPWR adapter. So yeah, MadMummy76 is correct -- most people will need 8 PCIe cables. I don't know of any PSU that has 8 cables off the top of my head though that someone might have kicking around...

Now, not saying Denpepe is wrong though -- Corsair here, since they made both the PSU, the cable and the adapter - can oversize on both ends and allow you to safely exceed that. But I wouldn't make the mistake of mixing and matching cables, PSUs, and adapters and think that just because one of them can exceed the spec, that all of them can. You have to size based on the least common denominator...

I suspect if you buy this card, you almost certainly will also be buying a new PSU to go with it, and you could do what Denpepe suggests and get one that minimizes the cable runs.

That exceeds the specification for the 8-pin PCIe cable/adapter.
Only on the PCIe side; most PSU eight-pin cables terminate into two eight-pin PCIe connectors each, which means that they support at least 300W from the PSU connector.

I suspect if you buy this card, you almost certainly will also be buying a new PSU to go with it, and you could do what Denpepe suggests and get one that minimizes the cable runs.
It's not needed. Not for the 4090 cards that hit market, at least, unless you're at 750W or lower, or have an older higher-power unit.

The Galax card above is from a line of high-powered cards. You won't actually be pulling 1600W through one of these, but instead should read the power rating more as 'unlimited'. These cards are primarily for sub-ambient benchmarking.

Actually I just realized my PSU came with 12x 8 pin PCIE connectors, but I don't think this is common. This is a mining psu that was supposed to go directly to miners in bulk, but a shipment has somehow found its way to the retail market in Eastern Europe.

Actually I just realized my PSU came with 12x 8 pin PCIE connectors, but I don't think this is common. This is a mining psu that was supposed to go directly to miners in bulk, but a shipment has somehow found its way to the retail market in Eastern Europe.
I'd totally forgotten about mining PSUs. A 1600 W one would be perfect for one of these.

Become a Patron!
Back