GameStop Is Offering a $5,000 Reward after Thieves Hit over a Dozen Stores Making Off with PS5 Consoles

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
More than a dozen stores in the San Fernando Valley were hit last week and now GameStop is offering a $5,000 reward for any tips that lead to arrests. Multiple reports show that this is not the first batch of stores being targeted either as thieves on the other side of the U.S. are also taking advantage of the understaffed stores. From California to Tennessee and also Pennsylvania, there have been robberies from nearly 30 stores across the nation since the start of February.

See full article...

The reason they are offering a reward is for insurance requirements. It's to prove they are taking action so the insurance company will pay out.

So ... one has to ask. Was there really a theft or was it theft on paper only?

So ... one has to ask. Was there really a theft or was it theft on paper only?
Just imagine the future unaware (🤔) owners of these units connecting these things eventually online for the first time.

Just imagine the future unaware (🤔) owners of these units connecting these things eventually online for the first time.
That's a good point or is the inventory tracking so poor they can't identify which systems it was?

I mean, I guess people hold up liquor & convenience stores for less money and a lot more risk. It is unlikely a Gamestop would have an armed employee, and like the article said most of them are down to 1 employee per store at any time. So for a $500 console, it's probably a pretty safe bet for a thief. At a liquor store or convenience store they risk getting their heads blown off for whatever is in the register.

I hated working nights by myself when I worked retail. I never got a gun shoved in my face, but there were plenty of times when 2 or 3 scary people would come in the store (obviously a team) and steal stuff and there was not much I could do about it. That was also before everyplace had surveillance though. Of the 4 stores I worked at, only one had a camera that worked and was recorded. Another had a camera that was disconnected but "rigged" for the red light to be on. The others had nada unless we went out of our way to have a camcorder running.

I called the cops several times but it was always after the fact, and they were like "what do you want us to do about it?" . Not like I could actively call 911 WHILE they were in the store harassing me, and most times had no video proof.

Unless GS had the SNs and reported them to Sony as stolen, nothing going to happen. I suppose it's possible they had SNs as part of their shipment.

Unless GS had the SNs and reported them to Sony as stolen, nothing going to happen. I suppose it's possible they had SNs as part of their shipment.
I haven't bought a PS5, but for most major electronics I've got in the past few years, the S/N is available on the packaging and is scanned when you pay for it.

Dunno if that means they track it pre-purchase or if that's just for some other data collection metric, but it's theorectically possible they could be reported as stolen and flagged on activation.

This being GameStop - I kinda doubt they will though.

Become a Patron!
Back