Ghostbusters Remastered Overview with 4K Screen Shots

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Ghostbusters-Remastered-1024x432.jpg

A few weeks back Ghostbusters Remastered was released. Some have speculated that nothing was actually changed from the original 2009 version but there are a few things different here. Something to note, even though it has nothing to do with game play, is this image added in the loading screens.

ghostcorps-1-1024x432.jpg

It would seem that the guys have reached a more formal title for their possible future attempts at expanding the franchise as has been hinted at for some time now. For those unfamilliar with the game you play as ‘rookie’ who was just hired. The story of the game essentially creates the third movie that never happened and has most of the original cast members from the first two movies reprising their roles.

I still have my DVD-Rom from the original release and then again re-purchased on Steam a few years back. Something both share is a install size of around 6-8GB. This remastered version weighs in at around 23GB! Immediately I navigated to the folder to see where the changes happened. It’s for the cutscenes. Now there are two versions of all the cut-scenes, 4K and 1080P. This does help a bit as modern rigs are able to render the game with IQ rivaling those original cut-scenes.

Onto game play. Two features have been added into the options menu. We now have the choices of FXAA and Film grain. Once the game is running the overlay from Afterburner shows that the engine is using DX11 now as well. The game is now freed of the various ram limitations of 32 bit and DX9.0c. These would be the extent of the most major changes I noticed. A downside, not uncommon to some older games, is an odd effect that can occur with games not being demanding enough for modern GPU’s. Basically if usage is low enough a card’s firmware may down clock the card to save power. With GB remastered, while playing in 4K, I noticed this quite frequently with my 2080TI down clocking to around 900MHz. This had the unfortunate effect of reducing FPS to around 30. I tried a couple of tricks to work around this from DSR to 8K as well as manually setting everything in NV CP to max. Both techniques helped but neither completely solved the issue.

Well, on to the screen shots. All were taken at 4K and on a few of them you can see the Afterburner overlay showing the down clock effect I mentioned. I would say that for anyone wanting to play at 4K that anything around a 1070 may be able to play it at 60fps without the down clock effect. I also tested it with my 1080TI at 1440p/144hz and surprisingly it played flawlessly but I did noticed the game seems to internally cap at 120hz. I deliberately left out some of the early parts of the game as there are already many images available on the internet to see.Enjoy!

ghost_2019_10_13_07_19_06_478-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_13_07_36_16_466-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_14_19_59_04_961-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_20_15_05_51_106-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_20_15_01_46_066-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_14_20_23_05_837-1024x540.jpg
ghost_2019_10_20_15_13_32_572-1024x540.jpg

I didn't even realize anyone had made a PC Ghostbusters game.

I mean, I do remember a Ghostbusters game coming out on the NES in like 1990, but at that point I was already more into PC's :p

I've owned this game for years and still haven't gotten around to playing through it. I hate controllers and don't use one with my computer. However, the game was designed for a controller and the PC port has really lousy keyboard/mouse controls. I simply couldn't stand the horrid controls and never got very far into the game unfortunately.

I've owned this game for years and still haven't gotten around to playing through it. I hate controllers and don't use one with my computer. However, the game was designed for a controller and the PC port has really lousy keyboard/mouse controls. I simply couldn't stand the horrid controls and never got very far into the game unfortunately.

As a rule I don't play any 3rd person games at all, regardless of platform.

It's first person or top down strategy for me. Nothing else.

As a rule I don't play any 3rd person games at all, regardless of platform.

It's first person or top down strategy for me. Nothing else.
I've been mostly impartial but on some occasions have used mods with games that were 3rd to achieve 1st.

I have to agree. You can't really play this with a mouse/keyboard. The movement is way too jerky with a mouse.

I didn't even realize anyone had made a PC Ghostbusters game.

I mean, I do remember a Ghostbusters game coming out on the NES in like 1990, but at that point I was already more into PC's :p
I haven't tried 'em, but on Steam there seems to be a few VR ones also. I read reviews on one a while back and it was mixed at best.

I have to agree. You can't really play this with a mouse/keyboard. The movement is way too jerky with a mouse.

Incorrect. I did it when the game was originally released. It was fine.

Interesting. I didn't realize this was a thing.

Was the experience good?

The few times I've seen this done, it wasn't a good experience. The FOV and look of everything has always been "off" for me.

I've had this game in my Steam library for some time. Tried it for a short time and didn't care much for it. Glad I got it cheap.

Incorrect. I did it when the game was originally released. It was fine.
I never really put a lot of time into mouse/keyboard only games. There were a few I got comfortable with but if I played one that had controller options, got used to it, I found using M/K to be very jittery. Same thing happened with WItcher 3.

Become a Patron!
Back