GIGABYTE Shifts All Connectors to the Back of the Motherboard with Project Stealth

credit for initiative

Meh, not a fan of the idea. All for looks and yet they'll just make it more of a pain to setup or troubleshoot problems. This also doesn't give mobo makers much flexibility in placement of components on a board.
It'd be about time they standardized it - but we all know that such a move would just result in compromises everyone hates while stifling any innovation left to be had.

Taken to one logical end, you could wind up with desktop motherboard 'blades', where the interface between chassis and motherboard is standardized between a few variations. Cool, but we're not there yet, IMO.

Yea I watched the LTT video and was actually bothered when he decided to shave on the connector rather than fix the case. Makes me think the case was on loan and he wasn't allowed to mess with it.
So... these connectors can vary in size a bit. I'm surprised by fan connectors being a problem, but not at all with RGB headers.

I like this idea better then singlularity's powerboard, but the implementation here could use some finetuning, and it should use a proper built for the case chassis, not a repurposed one that's been hacked together and makes the idea look worse then it is.

I expect that the response to Linus' video will drive Gigabyte's ROI forecasting - I'm just not sure where they'll take this next.

Imagine being limited Gigabyte motherboards (not so bad), Gigabyte GPUs (not a problem), but then also Gigabyte cases? Gigabyte is perfectly capable of turning out a generic ATX case, but given how much tastes vary, I'm thinking that's going to be a limit to enthusiast adoption.

Where I can see this being more widely adopted would be with open- or bench-style builds. Something like Yuel Beast's Atlas II, with some modification.

I have never seen one that I liked from them. Even that C700 Glass case they came out with never really took off here in the States.
I always maintain that they're subjective - and they'll sell, especially to those that are looking for an 'all Gigabyte' build, or looking for something different, so long as the quality is up to par.

I saw a video on this setup... holes and better venting needs to be in this case. The cooling solution sucks otherwise.

Im all for this. For obvious reasons a lot is up to the case. But im all for this.

I always maintain that they're subjective - and they'll sell, especially to those that are looking for an 'all Gigabyte' build, or looking for something different, so long as the quality is up to par.
I was looking at an all Gigabyte build at the time the C700 was announced, and even though it wasn't really my cup of tea I was willing to try it out to complete the build. Then it was nowhere to be found months later except from some very few unknown retailers or from outside the U.S. Their other cases were bland and lacked very good airflow from what I've read so I wasn't interested in those. Even this case they are showcasing with the stealth project was never that enticing.

Become a Patron!
Back