GIGABYTE Unveils New AORUS Gaming Monitors

I picked up an LG 27GN950 and the Aorus FI27Q-X. I'm keeping the Aorus. Definitely a great monitor. Great color, brightness and clarity. The LG while good, wasn't good enough for brightness in certain games. Gotta send that one back.

I am currently using a Acer Predator CG347K, which may even use the same panel as this for all I know. The specs are basically the same aside from the 144Hz claim. The Acer can do 144Hz, but you lose G-Sync/FreeSync as you have to use two DisplayPort connectors to do it. Otherwise its the same. HDR10, HDR1000, etc.

I had the whole TV debate thing and ultimately decided to go with the monitor route for a couple of reasons. I use my machine for productivity as much as gaming as the smaller size is better for me. Going beyond 40" is rough for text without font scaling which I absolutely hate using. There is no point in increasing the display size if you need to use font scaling that makes it feel like you have just blown up a 1080P display to a larger size. Also, because I use the monitor for work display burn in was a concern. I've seen image persistence on TV's I've tried before. I've seen the LG 48CX, and I believe it has a better picture, but being OLED was a turn off for me.

I've seen the LG 48CX, and I believe it has a better picture, but being OLED was a turn off for me.
Burn-in concerns and size are what have kept me away from the LG 48CX.

And with tax returns finally hitting bank accounts, I decided to pick up the AW3821DW from Alienware (Dell). Same basic panel as in LGs 38" curved 1600p ultrawide, but with Dell Q/C and warranty service.

Figure 21:9 would be 'safer', and I'm actually somewhat excited to be able to use it on the desktop as much as for gaming. Still need to put my 'Squadrons' time in, and I've never played Battlefield on an ultrawide, so aside from very graphic (and very private) threats from the wife, I'm looking forward to it!

Burn-in concerns and size are what have kept me away from the LG 48CX.

And with tax returns finally hitting bank accounts, I decided to pick up the AW3821DW from Alienware (Dell). Same basic panel as in LGs 38" curved 1600p ultrawide, but with Dell Q/C and warranty service.

Figure 21:9 would be 'safer', and I'm actually somewhat excited to be able to use it on the desktop as much as for gaming. Still need to put my 'Squadrons' time in, and I've never played Battlefield on an ultrawide, so aside from very graphic (and very private) threats from the wife, I'm looking forward to it!

I went that route before TV's could do 120Hz @ 4K and didn't generally have G-Sync or FreeSync support. I liked the format for gaming but hated it for productivity. I went back to the 4K format, but waited until I could do it with G-Sync and at 120Hz. It also helped that cards like the RTX 3080 and 3090's exist that can actually drive games over 60FPS at 4K. Doing work, I couldn't be more pleased to be back on a large format 4K display. 40-43" is the ideal size for productivity in my opinion. On the gaming front, I have come to appreciate the greater horizontal viewing area as well.

I haven't felt the need with a 40"+ 4K display. I just run the one.
I've run four and five before.... but it's more about being able to multitask without distracting context changes minimizing and maximizing windows or having to move windows around through a workflow.

It's also about having at least one other monitor for messages of whatever sort while gaming fullscreen :)

Become a Patron!
Back