GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS TACHYON Achieves New DDR5 Memory O.C. World Record at DDR5-11136

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
GIGABYTE's Z790 AORUS TACHYON motherboard for 13th Gen Intel Core processors appears to be a solid choice for overclockers who wish to test the limits of DDR5 memory. The company announced today that overclocker HiCookie used the Z790 AORUS TACHYON to set a new DDR5 memory record this week, taking a single 16 GB AORUS DDR5 RGB memory module to 5,567.5 MHz, DDR5-11136 (11,136 MT/s). The next fastest record is held by lupin_no_musume, who achieved 5,564.8 MHz on ASUS hardware in October.

See full article...

Just blows my mind how fast DDR5 is getting.
Bandwidth is going up, but to keep it all in perspective, DRAM still has the same 10ns of latency it had when it was introduced, and memory controllers still take around 50ns to 70ns to access data in RAM. We're also still using dual-channel memory controllers on the desktop, with 128bits of data lanes arrayed in 64bits x 2 channels through DDR4 and 32bits x 4 channels for DDR5.

The real gains have been on-module (and on-die) parallelism for memory ICs and of course, exponential increases in memory controller clockspeeds.

GIGABYTE's Z790 AORUS TACHYON motherboard for 13th Gen Intel Core processors appears to be a solid choice for overclockers who wish to test the limits of DDR5 memory. The company announced today that overclocker HiCookie used the Z790 AORUS TACHYON to set a new DDR5 memory record this week, taking a single 16 GB AORUS DDR5 RGB memory module to 5,567.5 MHz, DDR5-11136 (11,136 MT/s). The next fastest record is held by lupin_no_musume, who achieved 5,564.8 MHz on ASUS hardware in October.

See full article...
Let us know when they start selling them!

Let us know when they start selling them!
The motherboard is available now. It isn't exactly cheap at $600, but it could be worse if the prices of boards it's competing with are anything to go by. The link shows that the motherboard is shipped and sold from Newegg (as opposed to a third party) at the time of this post. It may be available from other retailers soon, if it isn't already, but I haven't checked.

I've never been into extreme overclocking and I think that is where this is today. The same or next series chipset of motherboards might support 8000hz memory or whatever the DDR5 measurement is called, but until then it makes more sense to wait.

Now if someone wants to sponsor me and pay me to get their hardware into the Hardware Ovcerclocker leader boards... that's a different story. ;) Though I think to get that sponsorship you have to already be there?

I've never been into extreme overclocking and I think that is where this is today. The same or next series chipset of motherboards might support 8000hz memory or whatever the DDR5 measurement is called, but until then it makes more sense to wait.
Four-DIMM Z790 boards are hitting DDR5-7200, while two-DIMM boards like the Tachyon above are hitting DDR5-8000+. That's without doing anything too extreme, like temporary LN2 runs etc.; those are daily achievable memory speeds with 13th-gen Intel CPUs.

Now if someone wants to sponsor me and pay me to get their hardware into the Hardware Ovcerclocker leader boards... that's a different story. ;) Though I think to get that sponsorship you have to already be there?
Some random Korean kid got the attention of K|ngp|in, and wound up helping to build / test EVGA GPUs and is featured in Gamers Nexus content on the last EVGA card, which tends to support your statement :).

It isn't exactly cheap at $600, but it could be worse if the prices of boards it's competing with are anything to go by.
Agreed, results from a Newegg search.

At US$600, it's about average; higher than MSIs now unavailable Z690 Unify-X was at, as well as the preceding Z690 Tachyon, but less than ASUS' Z790 Apex and EVGAs Z790 K|ngp|in, both of which are difficult to get ahold of.

Of course, my biggest complaint with these boards is that they're fairly stripped-down compared to available feature levels at these price-points, with the only overclocking ATX+ size board with two memory slots having a fully loaded featureset being ASRock's Z690 Aqua OC - which at US$888 and with a full-coverage water block, doesn't look so insanely expensive anymore!

Become a Patron!
Back