Gina Carano Fired from The Mandalorian Over Social Media Controversy

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-mandalorian-cara-dune-gun-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Disney and Lucasfilm have opted to fire actress Gina Carano, who plays Alderaanian ex-rebel shock trooper Carasynthia “Cara” Dune in The Mandalorian, over a controversial post that she recently shared over social media. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s coverage, the post implied that “being a Republican today is like being Jewish during the Holocaust,” which prompted many users to call for her termination. They got what they wanted.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” a Lucasfilm spokesperson said in a statement. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

“This is not the first time Carano, who played former Rebel...

Continue reading...

Honestly, I don't think her character will be missed all that much, but she played her part well. I believe she just wanted to see how far she could push things until something like this happened.

Surprised this is a news post here with the rule against politics. One can't talk about this without getting political because the nature of the post is just that.

I agree that it's stupid to post anything on "social media" (whatever that is) except happy birthday and pictures of your dog.
That said, if you do walk out on the thin ice, you will be "cancelled" by someone who
doesn't like what you believe......even if it's factual.

Honestly, I don't think her character will be missed all that much, but she played her part well. I believe she just wanted to see how far she could push things until something like this happened.

I enjoyed her character - besides her physicality making it believable she could whip around stormtroopers easily enough, I was getting into her 'orphan from Alderaan' story arc.

I read the post she shared, and I dunno. And I'll keep it at that, as Armenius pointed out - you can't really talk about it without getting political.

If she were a bigger star it wouldn't matter. It's just her level of stardom wasn't as big as the mess she wanted to get into online. Look at Tom Cruise. He called everyone on a drug for a mental issue a weak idiot basically and he's still around. Though really equating one political view to that of a persecuted race was pretty daft.

If she were a bigger star it wouldn't matter. It's just her level of stardom wasn't as big as the mess she wanted to get into online. Look at Tom Cruise. He called everyone on a drug for a mental issue a weak idiot basically and he's still around. Though really equating one political view to that of a persecuted race was pretty daft.
Same thing happens in sports - it’s all based on how valuable you are. Tom Brady can say whatever he wants - the 3rd string QB is out the door if he brings negative publicity to the team. Pretty sure minor character in a Disney plus streaming show is “3rd string QB” level.

Her character was ok. But I've been reading about her "about to be fired" for over a year... someone finally did something.

I don't think her character is so pivotal to be missed much. The show will go on.

Voting with your wallet is not cancel culture.
I fail to see a distinction between “I’m going to cancel my nfl season pass / season tickets if players kneel” vs “I’m going to cancel my sub / not purchase from x because person got fired” vs “I’m going to cancel my sub not buy from X unless person is fired “. You’ll have to enlighten me with why one is, it is not, cancel culture.

She didn't toe the party line. Your opinions have to be the "right" opinions these days or else you have to be destroyed.

Well, not to get too political - she had a right to say what she wanted, she did, and Disney has a right to terminate if they want, and they did.

And people have the right to buy, or not buy, Disney goods and services, as appropriate, and they are, or are not.

Sounds like it's working as intended.

This is political.

Also don't give a **** about her, disney, mandalorians and republicans.

Well, not to get too political - she had a right to say what she wanted, she did, and Disney has a right to terminate if they want, and they did.

And people have the right to buy, or not buy, Disney goods and services, as appropriate, and they are, or are not.

Sounds like it's working as intended.
Exactly.

Politics is one thing, and the bottom line is another.

They've been interrelated since the beginning of time, and while best kept separate, deliberately mingling them is dangerous.

I agree that it's stupid to post anything on "social media" (whatever that is) except happy birthday and pictures of your dog.
That said, if you do walk out on the thin ice, you will be "cancelled" by someone who
doesn't like what you believe......even if it's factual.

...except, it wasn't. That's what happens when you make idiotic, tone deaf and historically ignorant claims.

She ****ed around and she found out.

Become a Patron!
Back