GN Changes out Thermal Pads to Get MSI EVOKE 5700XT to Run Even Cooler

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Want your brand new 5700XT to run cooler or maybe just a bit quiter? Well it could be as easy as changing out some thermal pads.

Thermal Grizzly is getting some great publicity this week. Two different product lines showing up on two different sites. Both showing significant performance improvements in cooling. So watch out OEMs as this grizzly is chowing down on heat dissipation and showing everyone how to be cooler.

The latest coverage has come from Gamers Nexus showing how replacing the stock pads on the MSI Evoke 5700XT can decrease both temperatures and noise.

1567083271688.png

Have to give credit to the guys for going into detail with this. They even provided a 4k video detailing their process so well worth a quick trip over there to view.

After reading the article over at Guru3d earlier this week on thermal cooling paste, their results using a product from Thermal Grizzly, and then this one as well I am beginning to wonder how long until someone releases a Thermal Grizzly Edition Card. Seems like the right combination of products could easily lower temperatures by upwards of 10c. That is enough to help out with any overclocking.

I admit I cant remember reading many articles about changing cooling pads for GPUs but have occasionally seen some posts in threads so go ahead share your stories in the forum. I have, however, changed out bushings on cars and 4WDs to improve handling but that is not quite the same.

I would like to say that most mechanical or technological products can be improved on by the user. It shouldn't necessarily reflect poorly on MSI for not doing this. It is known that in the GPU market there's limited resources for manufacturing and developing cards, and sometimes one gpu type of release may occur right after another's, which in turn can affect the timeline to source parts, improve designs, etc.

The enthusiast market exists because of those people who will always research the best they can find and for the best price points. As individuals we may not have the same time restrictions a large company will have when trying to meet global deadlines. I'm not saying they couldn't do better but in the end the enthusiasts will nearly always find some improvements to be made and get that extra oomph! out of a product. It's what we do.

Last edited:
Reactions: _k_
I watched their tear down of the tear down of the reference 5700xt and followed their recommendations for adding thermal pads on some of the back side chipsets to make use of the aluminum backplate to aid in cooling .. i didn't do any before and after temp readings though like I should have and too lazy to take things apart and pull the pads off to check temps.

Last edited:
I watched their tear down of the tear down of the reference 5700xt and followed their recommendations for adding thermal pads on come of the back side chipsets to make use of the aluminum backplate to aid in cooling .. i didn't do any before and after temp readings though like I should have and too lazy to take things apart and pull the pads off to check temps.
Even without the before/after info I'd be interested if it at least seems like the cooling fan ramps up less. If you overclock it, theoretically, the vram may stay cooler as well.

Even without the before/after info I'd be interested if it at least seems like the cooling fan ramps up less. If you overclock it, theoretically, the vram may stay cooler as well.
I try and set a more aggressive fan profile for the card but kind of gave up due to wattman keeps crashing or something and resetting to defaults. I play with headphones so don't notice the fan noise unless I am purposefully focused on it. On default fan settings, I don't notice the card at all ..

I watched their tear down of the tear down of the reference 5700xt and followed their recommendations for adding thermal pads on some of the back side chipsets to make use of the aluminum backplate to aid in cooling .. i didn't do any before and after temp readings though like I should have and too lazy to take things apart and pull the pads off to check temps.
Heres a strange one, not directly relevant but sort of on topic.
There might be a similar situ on other cards, not that it matters in the end if so, lol.

I bought an Accelero Xtreme III cooler for my 1080ti before any guides came out.
The back of the FE card has 2x 1/2 card black metal plate covers, the one near the power end got extremely hot.
Only one component had a cooling pad linked to this backplate.
Unfortunately when the main cooler is removed, all the screw holes to hold the back plate on were gone and the Accelero cooler gave no way to remedy this.
I ended up cutting up plastic squares with holes in the middle, using 2 plastic squares for each screw to hold the back plate on.
This worked great with a new cooling pad on the component, the backplate held firm and continued to get really hot.

The instructions for mounting the Xtreme III cooler on the 1080ti came out and completely ignored this component on the back, leaving it with no cooling.
I gave advice to anyone fitting this cooler, recommending they do what I did to be safe, and there was quite a backlash from other forum members!
Since then nobody, who didnt do it, has complained of card failure.
What gives? Why did NVidia cool the **** thing with a backplate then?
lol.

I try and set a more aggressive fan profile for the card but kind of gave up due to wattman keeps crashing or something and resetting to defaults. I play with headphones so don't notice the fan noise unless I am purposefully focused on it. On default fan settings, I don't notice the card at all ..

Brent mentioned wattman in his 5700 series overclocking story and ended up using good ol' Afterburner. Might want to give it a shot. After all these years I still haven't found anything better. Manufacturer software may give some specific tweaks but AB is usually the most stable and reliable.

Become a Patron!
Back