Google’s Bard AI Chatbot Admits to Being Caught Plagiarizing Review Data from Tom’s Hardware and Then Denies It

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Google’s Bard AI chatbot has been caught plagiarizing a CPU review from Tom's Hardware and it doesn't seem happy about it. A journalist at the tech news website asked Bard, "which of two competing processors — the Intel Core i9-13900K or AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D — was faster," and that's when things took an interesting turn. It appears that the AI essentially scrapes the internet for data in order to answer questions. The problem is that it doesn't necessarily cite its sources when doing so, that is unless the user presses the AI to provide them.

See full article...

I wonder...... I've played with bard some... it's a fun tool.

I wonder . . .years ago I knew an IT person whole told a story about someone getting Alexa (on an android phone) and Siri (iPhone of course) in some kind of conversation with each other, what might happen if we can get ChatGPT and Bard to interact?

Isn't plagiarizing essentially ALL that AI does?

It searches th einternet and then semi-intelligently sews what it finds together. The end result is plagiarizing its internet search.

There are lines.

In college, and it wasn't for journalism but did include classes on writing (I apologize to all who've tried to guide me but my various stupors overpowered), there were some pretty clear lines about citing sources. Meanwhile, on the net, there is a bit more of a grey line and I've tried my best to find a middle ground. Personally, I feel that, at the very least, provide a link to what you're sourcing. As someone who has worked hands-on with tech and then had to troubleshoot it, while bridging the gap between it back to human users who have minimal tech skills, I've been able to see where programming deficiencies have happened. I admit, I use AI all the time to help restore (not necessarily correct), what I should be expressing. I say that because what it often suggests are things I know, but at post-middle age, that I just want to ignore. In many cases I accept it but others I'm, like, f* it this is what I want to say. If an AI is going to scrape info, it should give some kind of credence to the source. Btw this entire post was written by me.

Last edited:
Isn't plagiarizing essentially ALL that AI does?

It searches th einternet and then semi-intelligently sews what it finds together. The end result is plagiarizing its internet search.
For sure, but Google makes money by rankings of searches, the ad models support that, and if it can find an end-run to escape that then everything on the net it uses as a source is exempt from that model.

Become a Patron!
Back