Google Is Shutting Down Stadia after Three Years and Giving Refunds to Customers

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Google is shutting down Stadia after three years as the cloud gaming platform failed to gain traction within the new industry. At one point the cloud gaming front seemed to be a new golden...

Go to post

I never got one and the only person I know that did is someone I rarely see so I can't check in on this. Does anyone know if they can be paired via a normal BT connection?

I never got one and the only person I know that did is someone I rarely see so I can't check in on this. Does anyone know if they can be paired via a normal BT connection?
AFAIK they only work on wifi with stadia.

AFAIK they only work on wifi with stadia.
Yep, according to that Forbes article, they can only work with PC via wired. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a workaround though for those desperate enough to try. I remember back in the day replacing the Windows/Intel BT drivers so that I could use a PlayStation BT controller with an old laptop.

So, when Google shuts down yet another project, and no one is around to hear, does it make a sound?.
I imagine it is like screaming into a pillow, the poor poor project, suffering its final fate.

The only Stadia game I paid for was Cyberpunk, and it played pretty well back in the ugly early months when it will still mostly unplayable on PC and consoles. The controller and the chromecast were "free" with purchase. So I guess if I want to replay that without buying it, I have until January. Cannot say I am extra eager to replay though.

The controllers can be used on pc/mac with a usb cable. I wouldn't be shocked if someone figures out how to use the BT on a PC eventually. The controllers are fairly decent, it would be nice to get some kind of use out of them. My chromecast has done nothing but collect dust however... we are a Roku house. Also my TV has android built in if I do need any android TV apps like Steam cast.

The way that Google axes projects that don't fare well, no one should be shocked it's getting canned. Honestly I'm shocked it lasted this long.

The way that Google axes projects that don't fare well, no one should be shocked it's getting canned.
Yup. I know I'm afraid to invest into anything with the Google name on it. Even "free" services, I know I'm giving up my data, and I'm afraid to invest the time to learn it. Although, I say that being hypocritical; I do use Chrome after all, and never have changed from default Google Search, and I use their news aggregator.

Gmail seems to be about the only thing that has stuck around, and even that gets reinvented all the time. Last Gmail account I set up was for an automated alert system where they didn't have an SMTP service, and then Gmail changed their authentication method and broke that.

They should have invested b4 launching it into some good exclusive games, if you can't launch at least 3-4 of those a year you are not going to do well, but that is a big investement these days.

They should have invested b4 launching it into some good exclusive games, if you can't launch at least 3-4 of those a year you are not going to do well, but that is a big investement these days.
They should have just followed nvidia's way

Get your games where ever you want and just stream them.

Yup. I know I'm afraid to invest into anything with the Google name on it. Even "free" services, I know I'm giving up my data, and I'm afraid to invest the time to learn it. Although, I say that being hypocritical; I do use Chrome after all, and never have changed from default Google Search, and I use their news aggregator.

Gmail seems to be about the only thing that has stuck around, and even that gets reinvented all the time. Last Gmail account I set up was for an automated alert system where they didn't have an SMTP service, and then Gmail changed their authentication method and broke that.
Google should give up on Google. It is god awful at this point. It has been in clear steady decline for 5 years, 5 years before that last five it wasn't so clear about its decline.
I truly barely use google search anymore (rarely for shopping, and that is worse now too) ive eliminated YouTube which is terrible too.
For video Ive moved on to Rumble, Rokfin, Bitchute, and for stupidity to tiktok. I am completely dependent on gmail, I will admit. Though I do now have an account with zoho mail. For seach is duck duck go, which i would call decent.
I use google maps due to lazyness, but petal maps is a perfectly fine solution.

Become a Patron!
Back