Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Tops over $528 Million during Its Second Weekend to Become the Highest Grossing Comic Book Movie of 2023

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 hit an impressive milestone during its second-weekend theatrical run as it held on to the number one spot. The finale to James Gunn's trilogy has managed to prove that while audiences may indeed are experiencing super-hero-fatigue that they will more selectively show up for other comic-book-based content. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 pulled in another $60.5 million over the weekend bringing its global ticket sales total to just over $528.

This was a significantly greater amount of sales than Peyton Reed's Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania which managed $475 million during the same time period. Ticket sales for that film plummeted shortly thereafter as word spread and it became highly criticized for having a lackluster story and low-quality special effects. Other superhero films that didn't fare too well in the last twelve months were DC's Black Adam and Shazam! Fury of the Gods and it seemed that the box-office dominance of comic-book movies was at an end but audiences have instead shown that content is key.

See full article...

That's a very specific metric.

Kinda like saying I'm the highest paid adult male stripper over the age of 40 in my household. Sure, it's true, but it's so specific it doesn't really mean anything.

I think this speaks more to with everything weighing on the audience of movies today in the US and really world wide... we need something light hearted with a message we can all get behind and support. And honestly Come on... A big fight sequence was against a bunch of bad guys in flesh toned Michelin man outfits as they were being bounced around a peach colored foyer.

528 is not that significantly more than 475, it is 11%, I would not call that significant. And remember ant man was considered a flop.

They might as well say, the highest grossing movie since the last movie.

Become a Patron!
Back