Guru3d Reviews Crucial’s New Portable SSD the X8

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
CrucialX8-1024x576.jpg

Remember when USB 3.0 came out and we could transfer upwards of a 100 GB in around ten to twenty minutes? Well Crucial is here in 2019 to show you that going portable can be even faster than what’s inside some PC’s. Meet the Crucial X8 Portable SSD.
  • Offered in either 500GB($119.95) or 1TB($164.95)
  • NVME SSD
  • USB 3.2 Gen2 Type C(10Gb/s)
  • Adapter for USB-A 3.0
That 10 gigabits per second translates to 1250 megabytes per second and Guru3d saw roughly 1 gigabyte per second performance. Wow! That means you could transfer say something the size of Red Dead Redemption 2 to it in a couple of minutes. Assuming your host device could also send the file that fast. Crucial has stated compatibility with PC & Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Android, and Ipad Pro. It’s fast and not hard on the eye’s either.

Last edited:
Considering it... but I'm sure the latency will kill it for me.

I don't get the point of portable SSD's.

The purpose of SSD"s is performance, but portable devices are bought for mass storage and backups, where performance is mostly irrelevant....

The purpose of SSD"s is performance, but portable devices are bought for mass storage and backups, where performance is mostly irrelevant....
A few years back I felt the same but from 4k media files to games we'e getting to a point that having something fast that can store in these sizes can be handy when you want to transfer files to other computers. If you've got a few hundred, or more gigs of stuff to transfer waiting minutes as opposed to upwards of a half hour can be nice.

Reactions: _k_
You also have some devices, like consoles and NUCs, where the only viable means of adding storage is external and you wouldn’t necessarily always want to limit to archive speeds

SSDs are a lot more resistant to physical damage than HDDs though.

Become a Patron!
Back