HBO Max and Discovery Plus to Be Merged into Single Streaming Platform

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Discovery shareholders gleefully approved their company's $43 billion acquisition of WarnerMedia from AT&T to create a new mass media monstrosity called Warner Bros. Discovery last week, and now, Variety has word on one of the bigger changes that the merger will bring.

Go to post

HBO/Warner has become like Marvel Comics was in the 90s. Every year or two, Marvel Comics seemed to change hands and we all know the nightmare that came from the split IPs for the movies. HBO did restructuring about 2 years ago and canceled various streaming services to merge and form HBO Max. Not long after that, the DC Streaming service was shut down and then most of that content was migrated over to HBO Max. However, there was a substantial amount of content from DC that had been in 4K HDR that was downgraded to 1080p when it was moved. Now we have this. I wonder how long until AT&T drops their HBO Max promotion. I also wonder if Discovery will drop all 4K content from HBO Max.

On the flip side, more content and fewer streaming services are usually a good thing but I honestly didn't have any real interest in Discovery. It's sort of like the Disney/ESPN/Hulu bundle. I don't believe that I've ever once watched anything on ESPN(if they steamed NFL in 4K/60 FPS I'd be more interested). Maybe I'll change my mind once the dust settles. Overall I like HBO Max but I am getting tired of it changing all the time. On the plus side, I just finished watching the latest season of Rick & Morty on the weekend.

Become a Patron!
Back