Hexa-Core CPUs Are Now the Most Popular among Steam Users

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Are you a Steam user who recently upgraded to a six-core processor? You probably played some part in shifting the CPU rankings in Steam's latest hardware and software survey, then, as hexa-core chips are now the most popular choice among Windows users on Valve's distribution platform.

Go to post

Been using hexacore since 2014. I'm more than ready to move way beyond that at this point.

I'm always amazed how far the "average" user is behind those of us here.

I mean, sure, your grandparents email and web machine, which is what the true average probably looks like is always going to be far less capable than what we do, but if I didn't know better from years of looking at Steam's hardware survey I would have guessed that people who are into PC games would have better hardware specs.

I transitioned to hexacore in 2010 when I moved from my i7-920 in a cramped and poorly cooled Shuttle SFF case to a Phenom II x6 1090T which I was able to overclock to 4.2Ghz. In 2011 after bulldozer turned out to be a huge disappointment, I moved to the x79 platform and a hexacore i7-3930k.

These days I'm on a 24C/48T Threadripper, but the core count there is only a side effect of me wanting more PCIe lanes than the consumer platforms provided. I would have bought fewer cores if I could, but 24 cores was the minimum on this platform.

I'm generally a proponent of prioritizing per core performance (either higher "IPC" or higher clocks) over more cores. Higher per core performance helps all workloads, adding cores helps only some workloads.

If I weren't forced to 24 cores based on the platform, I would probably have settled for 8 cores today. My work (office/document type stuff) can run well on just about any core count, as long as there are at least two. As far as games go, they appear to take advantage of as many as 6 cores these days, so as long as you don't have too much going on in the background (like streaming nonsense) 6 cores should be fine for games.

I'd go 8 just to give myself a small margin of safety in case that changes before I upgrade again.

But here I am with 24C/48T...

24C48T.png

Last edited:
2 core ones are even a thing

Yeah, I mean for basic web/email/office/etc. work, even my ancient laptop and its Ivy Bridge era 2C/4T i5-3320m is still completely serviceable in that role (I just don't use it anymore as it is starting to be very difficult to get **** done with only 1366x768 resolution)

I probably wouldn't choose a CPU like this for any kind of games though :p

An 8700K / 2600(X?) /3600 / 10600 / 11600 / 12400 are more than enough to get games going, especially if you're not pushing GPU bounds or running something that is absurdly CPU bound. For all other everyday desktop tasks, they're overkill.

An 8700K / 2600(X?) /3600 / 10600 / 11600 / 12400 are more than enough to get games going, especially if you're not pushing GPU bounds or running something that is absurdly CPU bound. For all other everyday desktop tasks, they're overkill.

For those of us who take a longer term approach to upgrading, there are quite a few 4 core users.

I have a 7700k and a Vega 64, watercooled with a 750 watt PC Power and Cooling PSU. When I replace them I’ll get something close to top of the line, but I’m on a 6 year cycle. If Video cards were anything close to MSRP I would have bought a 6800xt. 1440p ultrawide runs well enough and most new games don’t push the requirements forward all that much.

Yea I'm happy with my 6800xt right now. Will see what the next gen looks like to see if it's worth while at all.

...I’m on a 6 year cycle.
I used to be on a 4-5-year cycle. Yet somehow here I am with my current PC turning 8 this Fall. This was not intentional. Sure my current financial situation has something to do with it, but I'm surprised I just haven't felt an especially strong need to upgrade. I definitely want to, but I don't need to.

I mostly jumped into a hex-core(4930K) due to some good BF deals nearly ten years ago. It was intended and still is, to be the cave/alternate gaming rig for 4K-60 Hz. I still love it but I know it's only got a year or two left but considering that the processor was released in 2013 I think it's done well.

On the other hand, I absolutely had to retire the 2600K (@ 4.3 GHz/ 32 GB 2133 MHz G.Skill, Z68 motherboard) rig last year. At first, it was brought back out for WFH but then I dropped a 2080 Super into it and truly saw some CPU bottlenecking happening with games that've been released in the last few years. I saw that CPU hanging at around 80%+ most of the time while gaming at 1440p/144 Hz and thought about pushing it to 4.5 GHz but I would've had to throw an AIO on it. that HYPER 212 was holding around 70-80c at that point.

I think those of you with 5th-9th gen quad cores are still sitting pretty nice, especially if clocked between 4.5-5.0 GHz and using an AIO, but the Intel 2nd-3rd gens have to be overclocked pretty high for demanding modern games when wanting to push beyond 120 FPS in 1440p. They can still do it but you will see some significantly lesser performance with frame jitter/skipping when the CPU can't get them prepped quick enough. I admit I was always a little jealous of the 8700K/9700K CPUs. If I hadn't already had the 4930K I probably would've gotten one.

Meanwhile, both the new laptop (11800H 8/16 with a 130W 3070 variant used with a 21:9 1080p 200 Hz display) and the main rig that has a 3700X (Suprim 3090 connected to the CRG9-100Hz and LG C9 4K-120Hz), are fairly buttery smooth with their respective GPUs and displays. However, even though they have a little CPU bottleneck it's pretty minimal for both. The Intel CPU clocks between 4205-4505 MHz and the AMD is around 4125-4325 MHz.

I didn't get beyond 4 core until my most recent build, and I jumped from a 4790k 4 core to a 12-core 5900X. Honestly there hasn't been a huge reason to go beyond 4 cores -- you can see some benefits on some cases for sure, but overall use and general gaming, the cores just don't get used a whole lot.

but overall use and general gaming
I totally agree there. I've got an old laptop with a 4 core I still use for media management. General gaming for sure but when it comes to the higher FPS I've run into some issues here and there. Still works but not as smooth.

I didn't get beyond 4 core until my most recent build, and I jumped from a 4790k 4 core to a 12-core 5900X. Honestly there hasn't been a huge reason to go beyond 4 cores -- you can see some benefits on some cases for sure, but overall use and general gaming, the cores just don't get used a whole lot.
What I find the most helpful about spare cores is that my background tasks and other things running are not as impactful as on a lesser core count system. I feel no need to go and close down the various tools I have open in my system tray. You know... UPS monitor, Charge booster when I plug in my cell phone, TEams for work, One drive, Uplay or whatever it's called, Discord, the phone app to use my phone from my PC, EZ Update, Epic Games store, GOG, Steam, AMD's interface, ICUE, Samsung Magician, Windows security, then the normal bluetooth, network, and sound icons... it's a lot.

Yup, all about keeping the minimums higher by giving the extra stuff somewhere to 'go'.
Yeah, that was also the telltale sign for me to retire that 2600K. Before gaming, I had to through and close anything I didn't need running, to free it up. I'd do it manually but also use some of those gaming apps (MSI/Gigabyte) as well. That usually freed up about 10% usage but it was still pegging 80+ for sustained periods.

Yeah, that was also the telltale sign for me to retire that 2600K. Before gaming, I had to through and close anything I didn't need running, to free it up. I'd do it manually but also use some of those gaming apps (MSI/Gigabyte) as well. That usually freed up about 10% usage but it was still pegging 80+ for sustained periods.
I had a 2600k trying to drive a 1070 back in the day. When I upgraded to a 7700k then it basically doubled the performance I was getting out of the video card.

I had a 2600k trying to drive a 1070 back in the day. When I upgraded to a 7700k then it basically doubled the performance I was getting out of the video card.
Yep! That's what I'm saying. Those last gens before 10th gen were impressive. There were a few years in between, when the differences were not so great but, after a while, I just kept hearing great stories about them. In the end, good times but I'm happy to have moved on.

On the flipside, I picked some laptops for our Admin at my day job about 1-2 years ago and I picked some HP Envy's but specifically got one of the 9th or 10th gen 4/8 CPUs that boost up to 4.5 GHz. It just cracks me up seeing a mobile CPU do that out of the box and remembering how we enthusiasts had to jump through hoops back in the day.

Yep! That's what I'm saying. Those last gens before 10th gen were impressive. There were a few years in between, when the differences were not so great but, after a while, I just kept hearing great stories about them. In the end, good times but I'm happy to have moved on.

On the flipside, I picked some laptops for our Admin at my day job about 1-2 years ago and I picked some HP Envy's but specifically got one of the 9th or 10th gen 4/8 CPUs that boost up to 4.5 GHz. It just cracks me up seeing a mobile CPU do that out of the box and remembering how we enthusiasts had to jump through hoops back in the day.
Yea it is crazy to see a mobile CPU hit 5ghz.

Become a Patron!
Back