Hitman Removed from GOG Due to DRM Controversy

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
hitman-game-of-the-year-edition-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: IO Interactive

Hitman – Game of the Year Edition was released on GOG with DRM. This upset a lot of customers, who began to review bomb the game, since GOG is known for DRM-free games. GOG community manager Gabriela Siemienkowicz has issued an apology on the official forum, explaining that GOG is working with publisher IO Interactive to rectify the problem. For the time being, the game has been removed from the store.

Dear Community,Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.We’re still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in...

Continue reading...

Yeah, using a store policy on review bombing and banning users and/or threatening users can't go well with your future store purchases, especially coming off on a disastrous CP2077 debacle, cannot give their investors much tolerance in CDPRs leadership anymore, so, "let's run and correct our early stupid statements and petty infractions to those who *barely still believe/support us* because our store sales have suffered lately!"

Gotcha! 😏

Except that it wasn't DRM. Expect whatever version comes out later, if one even comes out, to be completely neutered from a feature perspective since the community apparently believes that any online requirement == DRM.

Except that it wasn't DRM. Expect whatever version comes out later, if one even comes out, to be completely neutered from a feature perspective since the community apparently believes that any online requirement == DRM.
What features require an online connection? I mean really require that can be justified on a technical level.
Achievements? In-game purchases? Cloud saves? They can all go.

Yeah. I don't care about achievements, I'll never make an in game purchase, and I have plenty of storage for local game saves.

A single player game should be able to be played 100% and have ZERO reason to connect to anything on the internet.

What features require an online connection?
The only thing even remotely interesting that I can think of, and I concede it certainly shouldn't be required - would be the community features like in Dark Souls and Death Stranding -- you can see where other people died, they can leave hints or taunts or whatever, but you don't directly interact with each other.

The only thing even remotely interesting that I can think of, and I concede it certainly shouldn't be required - would be the community features like in Dark Souls and Death Stranding -- you can see where other people died, they can leave hints or taunts or whatever, but you don't directly interact with each other.
They can put whatever they want in the game, just make them optional so the game can still be played without an online connection.

An online requirement for single player only exists for DRM purposes.

Become a Patron!
Back