Hogwarts Legacy Becomes One of Steam’s Biggest Early Access Launches with 489K+ Players

Ice had my system do a black screen like it just hard locked had to actually shut down at the power supply playing this game a few times now. Going to dona round of driver updates later tonight I think.

Not bashing, but this looks like Far Cry : Hogwart's edition to me. Is it? I dislike open world endless fetch quest games.

I feel like shader compilation at startup is a near must have when it comes to big open world titles, or they would be a stuttery mess.

I hear the game is good and fun, but lots of performance complaints from people with hardware you'd think would be able to handle it. Things like disappointing frame rates with both low CPU and GPU utilization.

Maybe it does need driver updates after all
The game literally needs 16GB of video memory if you want to enable RT even at 1080p, might be a bug since this is not normal, but going over memory budget can explain the low gpu utilization. The game runs fine with RT Off on my 2080Ti, about 60fps average with DLSS quality, but setting RT even to low makes it unplayable, but the worst are cutscenes with RT on those are literally a laggy mess running at 2 fps.

The game literally needs 16GB of video memory if you want to enable RT even at 1080p, might be a bug since this is not normal, but going over memory budget can explain the low gpu utilization. The game runs fine with RT Off on my 2080Ti, about 60fps average with DLSS quality, but setting RT even to low makes it unplayable, but the worst are cutscenes with RT on those are literally a laggy mess running at 2 fps.
I've read similar observations in other places as well in regard to VRAM and RT with this game.

Well, I went ahead and got this Saturday night and spent a few hours with it on Sunday on both the 5800X3D and 3700X rigs and I'm really, really, enjoying it so far. I'm about halfway through a current play-through of Witcher 3 and just finished another of Metro Exodus and only just started the Dead Space Remake (which ended up taking a back seat to this since I was in the mood for something lighter). I can see myself committing to nothing but this and Dead Space for the majority of the next few months once I finish W3 again.

oh just to add, I've also seen it get VRAM hungry in using 10-16 GB at 4K and 5120x1440. Also, I ended up doing some experimenting with settings on the 5800X3D rig w/ the OC'd 4090 (2925 MHz). I kept DLSS on (but off for AA-switched to TAA) and then turned on frame gen. This allowed true 4K and the game still held 80-110 FPS on average (some spikes and some dips) which I found to be an incredible experience. DLSS3 (frame generation) is amazing in this game. I still see some dips while it's trying to figure things out but overall is pretty smooth and easily compares to the kinds of dips you might see in any game that's just using rasterization and no RT on slightly less powerful hardware. It also seemed like frame generation allows background animations like the birds off in the distance, to render more smoothly as it is really common for developers to drop those frames to around 15-30 FPS depending on their distance which can look really odd (RE is notorious for this but a lot of other games do it as well).

Like most games, I probably spent my first hour or so with it just tweaking settings. My OC'd 3090 Ti hybrid (@2160 MHz) obviously doesn't support frame generation so I had to use DLSS Quality on it and it held 40-60+ most of the time with some occasional instances of 70-80. Not as impressive but still playable. This testing was done, as usual, with all the usual post-processing junk turned off (motion blur, grain, chromatic, etc.) while everything else was on ultra.

as it is really common for developers to drop those frames to around 15-30 FPS depending on their distance which can look really odd (RE is notorious for this but a lot of other games do it as well).
Division 2 has this, annoys the crap out of me especially when playing as a sniper.

Ice had my system do a black screen like it just hard locked had to actually shut down at the power supply playing this game a few times now. Going to dona round of driver updates later tonight I think.
1. I hate how my phone typing looks. LOL. Saved for posterity's sake.
2. I upped my fan curve to minimum 50% fan speed and the completely removed the black screen hard crashes. So seems to be an interesting temp issue with the 6800XT in my case. Probably need to take a good cleaning to the system to be honest.
3. Was still getting some crashes to desktop but thankfully no hard crashes. A few minutes in, then fire up the game and some indeterminant amount of time later it would happen again. Updated to the 23.2.2 drivers. that crash is gone now instead of CTD it hitches a moment in the game but then just keeps trucking along no issues.

Oh and on my system in my sig the AMD control panel is reporting an average FPS of 113.7 at 1440p all ultra. I did turn reflections back off. Because it only seems to really impact the game when you're in front of a mirror in game. (Try it the various levels other than High and Ultra are comical in the jumps in detail. And even Ultra isn't... great... at least on my AMD card. Reminded me of high detail scenes from Bladerunner back in the mid 90's. Looked like your character if you were made out of drippy mud. Again only in the reflections.). I want to note that by default FSR at max quality is turned on. I didn't even notice it so that's a +.

Something else I want to record as well. And I'm curious if this is AMD cards or just reflections screwing with the look. Easiest to see once you've gotten the Gryphon in game. The all white Gryphon looked like it had some feather loss genetic defect with reflections turned on. (I was at medium level when I noticed this. Did not try with higher levels.) Like a black necked gryphon with SOME white feathers. And also some other reflection/lightning based anomalies were noticed. Sometimes a wall would be all fuzzy looking until I panned away and back again. Or something would just look... wrong. Turning off reflections removed that anomaly.

Oh and did you know that when you are using alomahora (that might be wrong the lock picking spell.) to pick locks in a LOT of cases you have a key hole shaped light in the middle of the lock mechanism. Yea... I didn't either until I turned OFF reflections. Also some of the locks look different inside... So far it's just 2 generic templates. Lock that looks good. And Lock that looks aged or worn in colors and vibrancy. Seems to be closely associated with old locks and such.

I'm about 48 hours in now... level 35, playing on normal. All of the spell unlocks, All legendary gear fully upgraded with Concentration III modification on them. Most generic mobs die to one damage spell. Trolls are still a fun fight. Groups as always can be annoying. The combat is WAY faster paced with groups than any other game I've played in memory that has the evade/block things that pop up. You have to be ON TOP of the game to stay ahead though they make it fun and not too punishing to mess up. I find dodging is the way to go.

This playthrough I am completely avoiding the forbidden curse spells. Next play through I'm going A hole give me all the power and stuff route. Probably play a female toon.... seems more natural. lol.

Good to know about the reflections issues. I did notice some strange stuff just in looking at the water outside the area in between the buildings at the school (where that statue is destroyed that I'm sure will be a part of the charm quest). I noticed when panning around how light would appear on the water's edges but disappear when I turned beyond a certain point. Overall lighting seemed a little peculiar and even fog effects would just pop in/out. They've definitely got a little more work ahead of them but even they said that when asked about DLC. Their response was something to the effect of providing support before considering any DLC. I'm not complaining though. I can tell they created a huge world and I'm really looking forward to exploring it.

Become a Patron!
Back