Intel’s New 8-Core i9-9900KS Runs at 5 GHz on All Cores

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has unveiled a special edition of its Core i9 processor aimed at gamers, the i9-9900KS. It represents the company’s fastest gaming chip ever: the CPU’s eight cores run at 5 GHz at all times. More details will be released this week during Computex, but Intel did say the part would ship sometime this year.

The company also announced it would be showing off its 10nm “Ice Lake” mobile processor at the show, which features “the industry’s first integrated GPU to incorporate variable rate shading capability by applying variable processing power to different areas of the scene to improve rendering performance.”

Intel previewed the 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900KS special edition processor, the first to feature all 8 cores running at a turbo frequency of 5.0 GHz, making the world’s best gaming desktop processor even better. Intel also showcased how the company is optimizing ultimate real-world performance on the most popular games running on Intel processors with both hardware and software innovations. Through the years, Intel has optimized hundreds of games by working with hundreds of thousands game developers.

I wonder if there will be any overclocking head room on that CPU. I doubt it will, but we won't know until reviewers get them on hand.

Probably not, the older version were close to maxed. You gotta hope they can raise clocks further without a longer pipeline.
Are these less prone to the recently discovered security issues?

Give me price and TDP. Could simply be they are pumping tons of power through it to guarantee that clock, which will limit it to only special use cases. Plus, Intel has a history of over-pricing their absolute fastest chips, so that may limit the market. It would be really nice if this was a serious product, and not just some gimmick to distract from their other problems.

Unknown. These will certainly include the latest microcode updates but I suspect they'll just be binned 9900K's that can hit 5GHz reliably. So I would doubt it.

Even more interesting coincidence since, back in April, Gigabyte stated they were going to offer a motherboard/binned 9900k combo and also mentioned that 5Ghz sweet spot.

Become a Patron!
Back