Intel Core i9 10980XE CPU Review

Good review. Interesting and honest conclusion.

I applaud you review here. I was worried at first to be honest that it would be hard to be unbiased when you have a demo unit in your hands to test with. But regardless that is a good look at what a powerful CPU from intel can do today.

I applaud you review here. I was worried at first to be honest that it would be hard to be unbiased when you have a demo unit in your hands to test with. But regardless that is a good look at what a powerful CPU from intel can do today.

Thanks.

Being honest about a piece of hardware really isn't that difficult. If it is, your in the wrong line of work. :) Very little of the hardware I've reviewed were items I paid for. I've still written many negative reviews over the years. I've never concerned myself with what the company that sent me the hardware thought of my opinion on the matter. Furthermore, when a company does get angry and stops sampling, its a temporary condition. They almost always get over it eventually.

The thing is, I liked the CPU but it has limited appeal as I've stated. AMD is simply crushing Intel's HEDT offerings from both the mainstream and HEDT spaces. I think there is a place for the Core i9 10980XE, but it's a niche for sure.

To be honest, what AMD has done is brought technology like this, down into more realistic price-ranges. It's a great time to be alive in the CPU sector. Now, if only I were in the market for a CPU... Hmmmm....

I was all ready to go with Threadripper for my new build until I noticed it lacked any entry level CPU's. A 16 core part for $800 or less would had been perfect. I need some more PCIe lanes and a slot, or two more than the X570 boards offer. That 10 core Intel part does seem appealing but for the fact that Intel also did not really bring any new technology.

I liked the review but I wish we had some TR numbers included.
I understand your reasoning though.

Outstanding review! The OCing brought to light the full potential of the CPU. Plus looks like there would be further headroom for more OCing if cooling was better.

Intel I think could have lowered the price even further which would help make up for the platform less capability compared to AMD.

Also, I'm working on dialing in the voltage. When we have less than 10 days to get one of these done, the overclocking ends up being super quick and dirty. You only have so much time to dial things in. With new CPU's it takes time as there is always a slight learning curve to them. They are similar to the 9980XE, although the clocks you can achieve are much better.

Now that I've had some more time with it, I've got the voltage down a bit lower which is helping. I think I can hit 4.8GHz with it. Maybe 4.9GHz if I am really lucky.

@Dan_D hey what is the PR contact that would handle that for you guys? I'm not opposed to emailing them asking you be included in future sample sets. And if you're interested have the bandwidth I'd love to see some reviews of EPYC CPU's as well.

Hey Dan, nice review and I agree.

Grammar/spelling nazi.... I noticed at least twice and again in the comments you used "your" instead of "you're". Sorry to be that guy :(

Become a Patron!
Back