Intel Has Finally Cracked PCIe 4.0, It Seems

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-2020-logo-blue-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel is reportedly releasing its 11th Gen Core desktop processors in spring 2021. Dubbed Rocket Lake-S, one of the platform’s biggest advancements is support for the blazing PCIe 4.0 interface – old news for AMD fans, but something that Intel aficionados will certainly appreciate.

While the current generation (Comet Lake-S) ran into unfortunate signal/jitter issues that handicapped motherboards to PCIe 3.0, leaked benchmarks from ITCooker suggest that Rocket Lake-S’s PCIe 4.0 support is good to go for the fastest NVMe drives on the market.

The test includes a screen capture of a CrystalDiskMark 8 test running on a purported 11th Gen Core processor and ASRock Z490 Taichi...

Continue reading...

PCI 4.0 bus currently only offers a benefit when combined with a very short list of top tier pci4.0 enabled SSD recently unveiled to the market. Now that Nvidia has released ampere with GPUdirect storage the consumer can combine the two newly released hardware components on a PCI4.0 bus and be rewarded with a meaningful performance improvement for gaming. Current benchmarks with the new bus for AMD shows the bus even when combined with a speedy pci4 enabled ssd results in single digit performance gain.

To the chagrin of it’s marketing department Intel with the release of its PCI 4.0 support in 2021 is timed more appropriately. Releasing bus improvement technology when there is a set of components and technology to make use of the new bandwidth is to the benefit of the consumer.

PCI 4.0 bus currently only offers a benefit when combined with a very short list of top tier pci4.0 enabled SSD recently unveiled to the market. Now that Nvidia has released ampere with GPUdirect storage the consumer can combine the two newly released hardware components on a PCI4.0 bus and be rewarded with a meaningful performance improvement for gaming. Current benchmarks with the new bus for AMD shows the bus even when combined with a speedy pci4 enabled ssd results in single digit performance gain.

To the chagrin of it’s marketing department Intel with the release of its PCI 4.0 support in 2021 is timed more appropriately. Releasing bus improvement technology when there is a set of components and technology to make use of the new bandwidth is to the benefit of the consumer.
If you build it, they will come.
Thing is, all those contortions you enunciated while valid are usually reserved and used by the little guys, not the ' leaders'.
I guess you can be little AND a leader, like AMD seems to be. Though if they finish the Xilinx merger they will be a lot less little.

I have just upgraded my PC a couple of months back so I am not upgrading anything until sometime in 2022

Well, the good news for gamers is that we're really only just truly beginning to get beyond what PCIe 2.0 x 16 can support for modern GPU's. I remember seeing some tests when the 2080 Ti came out and there were only a few situations where it came close to 100% saturation. That being said, I'd expect NV's 3080/3090 offerings to get a little closer to the middle of the threshold for PCIe 3.0 x 16, but even then, it would take specific situations to do so.

It's a shame that Intel has had such delays in getting there but at the moment it's not that much of a gain for gaming anyways. I think more would be happier if they managed greater performance gains along with better prices and availability. I've noticed slight improvements in my 3700x rig with it's PCIe 4.0 NVMe but it's not enough to be excited over.

Become a Patron!
Back