Intel Launches 12th Gen Core “Alder Lake-S” Processors, Flagship Core i9-12900K Costs $589

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-12th-gen-core-processor-top-1024x576.jpg

Intel has officially unveiled its highly anticipated family of 12th Gen Intel Core “Alder Lake-S” processors with new hybrid performance architecture leveraging Performance-cores (P-cores) and Efficient-cores (E-cores). At the top of the stack is the Intel Core i9-12900K, a flagship CPU that boasts 16 cores, 24 threads, and a max turbo boost of up to 5.2 GHz. Pricing starts at $264 to $589, with availability beginning November 4.

From Intel:

Available with up to 16 cores and 24 threads, the new 12th Gen Intel Core processor family includes the world’s best gaming processor, the Core i9-12900K, unleashing gaming experiences across top titles. The Core i9-12900K provides amazing gen-over-gen performance increases, including up to 25% more FPS on Troy: A Total War Saga, up to 28% more FPS on Hitman 3, and up to 23% more FPS on Far Cry 6. Enhanced by Intel Killer...

Continue reading...

I see them listed at 649€ for the 12900K and 699€ for an Asus Maximus Hero Z690 they seriously gone up in price since my Z390 board

I just built 3 Ryzen rigs in the past year, so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade anything for a change. That said, even if I were, i'd still be taking a wait and see approach this... this is Intel's first big change in a long time, and they have a long hanging on it. I hope it does as well as it seems, honestly.

The back-and-forth competition has finally begun, again, and that's really nice to see. Each one trying to up the other is only good for us.

The back-and-forth competition has finally begun, again, and that's really nice to see. Each one trying to up the other is only good for us.
in performance I would agree, but they seem to be going for the most expensive :p

in performance I would agree, but they seem to be going for the most expensive :p
Agreed. The whole competition brings down prices only works when people actually forgo buying. Disrupted supply chains unfortunately give everyone a legit reason to raise prices, but as we saw before Covid, the increase in prices started long ago and will not abate until people say, “You know Intel, AMD, nVidia, Apple, etc.? I’m good with what I’ve got. Thanks but no thanks.”

It's going to be a decent, if not great performer. It'll also be one of the most power-hungry processors we've seen in a long, long while too.. That's my guess on it..

I find it interesting the top of the line cpu from Intel is less than a grand. Thsts a change from before. I fully expected Intel to have the top of the line cpu be about 1k.

I guess that's old school intel.

I find it interesting the top of the line cpu from Intel is less than a grand. Thsts a change from before. I fully expected Intel to have the top of the line cpu be about 1k.

I guess that's old school intel.
This is mainstream, not HEDT, wait till they announce those.

I usually get the upgrade itch, but I'm waiting to see how these perform. I'm especially interested in the difference between DDR4 and DDR5 boards.

Regardless how it performs, I'm sure it would perform better than my current i7-3930K. I've been wanting to upgrade for a couple years now, but you know ... covid, no supply, scalpers, miners, [insert other excuse] ...

Stumbled across this - dunno how accurate it is. I’m waiting for trusted reviews before I draw any conclusions.

I'm putting this out there. If the target market is gamers or workstation class PC's nobody and I mean NOBODY gives a **** about power efficiency. Performance is what matters.

These inefficient CPU's for power use and heat creation are going to be an issue for laptop and NUC type devices, and the Xeon's better not have that same problem either. (Or whatever the professional class CPU's are) Because THOSE are the consumers that care about power consumption on the CPU. We may have 6000 watt power supplies but nobody really WANTS to need those.

I'm putting this out there. If the target market is gamers or workstation class PC's nobody and I mean NOBODY gives a **** about power efficiency. Performance is what matters.
I don’t know. Seems like time and again the company that focuses on efficiency ends up winning the long game. They may not have “the champ” but they usually end up with the overall better product line, and probably more importantly, legs for the next generation

Become a Patron!
Back