Intel Launches Anti-Mac Ad Campaign Following Apple’s Switch to In-House Processors

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-laptop-collection-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel doesn’t seem too happy about Apple’s plan to transition all of its Mac products to in-house, ARM-based silicon. Over on the company’s main Twitter feed, there are at least two prominent ads featured that bash Macs and promote PCs as being the superior choice. One suggests that scientists and gamers prefer PCs over Macs, while another encourages graphic designers (many of whom are typically loyal to Apple) to switch over to the opposing platform.

“If you can power a rocket launch and launch Rocket League, you’re not on a Mac,” reads one advertisement. “Go PC.”

Only a PC can power scientists and gamers alike. #GoPC— Intel (@intel) February 10...

[url=https://www.thefpsreview.com/2021/02/12/intel-launches-anti-mac-ad-campaign-following-apples-switch-to-in-house-processors/]Continue reading...

Clearly Intel is concerned about losing market share. Maybe they should have thought about that after spending years twiddling their thumbs.

I used to think chip design was hard enough that it would limit interest... i guess not so, as everyone big enough seems to be making one. Then again, the market might shift yet again. I expect google to lead the way in cancelling projects, oh yeah after announcing an expansion, and swearing complete commitment. That's when you know there is one year left in the project.

I was about to say the actors who did the PC vs Mac commercials could use new work... but I looked on IMDB and both John Hodgman and Justin Long have been busy...

Clearly Intel is concerned about losing market share. Maybe they should have thought about that after spending years twiddling their thumbs.
I get the sentiment, but their thumbs weren't entirely twiddling. The work that they did get accomplished is coming to fruition it seems, if rumors are to be believed, and unlike AMD who is currently relying on a tapped-out TSMC, Intel has fabs to spare, so to speak.

I don't expect that AMD has anything to worry about in the CPU space; I doubt Intel is going to be able to move to specifically dislodge AMD from the niches that they have created for themselves, for example, but in terms of AMD being nearly the universal superior option today, I don't expect AMDs time in the light to last.

The positive side of that is obviously that there really is competition, and it's intense, because AMD not only has to fend off Intel's newer releases, but they also have to fend off Apple for fab space just to get their products made!

Nvidia moving to Samsung, even with the disadvantages that that move has been speculated to incur, makes even more sense now; and Intel's move to push their nascent GPU line to outside fabs that have optimized for producing that sort of IC for others (TSMC, Samsung), also makes sense.

I used to think chip design was hard enough that it would limit interest... i guess not so, as everyone big enough seems to be making one. Then again, the market might shift yet again. I expect google to lead the way in cancelling projects, oh yeah after announcing an expansion, and swearing complete commitment. That's when you know there is one year left in the project.

Not sure about cancellation, but note that Intel has been a volume leader in 'GPU' shipments basically since they started putting them on their northbridges, and have been the undisputed marketshare leader since they integrated them into their GPUs as IGPs.

Intel has all the technology they need to target the lower end of the market, including technologies and ecosystems that AMD, their prime competitor in the cost-conscious side of things, cannot bring to bear. In particular, Quicksync is a monster. It's the most efficient means of enabling real-time transcoding on a desktop operating system today, and it is the most broadly-supported IP in the space. Even Nvidia plays second fiddle.

And when it comes to chip design, yes it is very hard, but remember that this is Intel we're talking about. In terms of resources that Intel has available to commit to graphics hardware design, they're second only to Nvidia and perhaps Apple. These three dwarf other competitors like Qualcomm and AMD and so on.

Intel getting into discrete graphics cannot help but be a joke, one that I've shared in (and will probably continue to), but a sober look at what they've done and what they have the potential to do does reveal interesting possibilities.

I was about to say the actors who did the PC vs Mac commercials could use new work... but I looked on IMDB and both John Hodgman and Justin Long have been busy...
And reprisals might even be on the table!

Think of how awesome that would be :D

As long as you want something in 14nm or larger, sure.

I still don't think they have 10nm worked out efficiently, and their version of 7nm is still just a promise.
Actually can't argue with that. They do have working, effective samples, and they've shown that they can compete with AMDs performance on 7nm TSMC using a tuned-up version of their 14nm process with their newer tech backported, so if Intel could get their 10nm stuff working in volume, they'd 'come back' pretty quick.

Actually can't argue with that. They do have working, effective samples, and they've shown that they can compete with AMDs performance on 7nm TSMC using a tuned-up version of their 14nm process with their newer tech backported, so if Intel could get their 10nm stuff working in volume, they'd 'come back' pretty quick.
It really boils down to Intel competing against both TSMC and AMD. For Intel to pull ahead, they both both need to out execute TSMC on process, and AMD on design. If Intel can’t out execute TSMC, AMD retains a node advantage. If Intel can’t out execute AMD on design, even if they catch up on node, AMD will almost certainly have the better product. Given early rumors that Ryzen 6000 is another 25% IPC gain and TSMC is already producing at 5nm, Intel has one hell of a challenge.

Well, it’s remotely possible Intel could just outspend AMD (and Apple) and move up ahead in the line at TSMC — that nullifies the process node advantage and makes it a one-front fight. That said, the access to their own Fab was always one of the biggest advatanges, and likely a big reason Intel is still hanging in there.

I say this, I don’t think it’s Intels best course of action. Getting their fab back on track and regaining a node advantage is the best thing they could do, even if it means sacrificing the CPU war temporarily.

It really boils down to Intel competing against both TSMC and AMD. For Intel to pull ahead, they both both need to out execute TSMC on process, and AMD on design. If Intel can’t out execute TSMC, AMD retains a node advantage. If Intel can’t out execute AMD on design, even if they catch up on node, AMD will almost certainly have the better product. Given early rumors that Ryzen 6000 is another 25% IPC gain and TSMC is already producing at 5nm, Intel has one hell of a challenge.
Agreed
Well, it’s remotely possible Intel could just outspend AMD (and Apple) and move up ahead in the line at TSMC — that nullifies the process node advantage and makes it a one-front fight. That said, the access to their own Fab was always one of the biggest advatanges, and likely a big reason Intel is still hanging in there.
They don't just have to 'out-spend'; TSMC sees having Apple as a customer and producing AMD CPUs that compete with Intel's as a feather in their hat. Intel would have to make it worth it for them to switch, which means probably spending even more and making commitments that are probably borderline unfavorable to Intel, because there's no reason for TSMC to accept any less.
I say this, I don’t think it’s Intels best course of action. Getting their fab back on track and regaining a node advantage is the best thing they could do, even if it means sacrificing the CPU war temporarily.
Samsung seems like a good fit. TSMC sits under the specter of Chinese semi-domestic politics, whereas Korea the US currently defends vigilantly to include putting US troops as close to harm's way as they can get to drive that point home to the North Koreans and the Chinese who would back them up.

Given the turmoil over supply chain compromise by the PRC, and more has come out on that in just the last few days (Bloomberg published an update), Intel could be a preferred supplier just out of where they make their stuff and whether the next political drama affects literally all availability, as would the case be with AMD.

That last part is something that I hadn't really considered before, but makes a whole lot of sense. As both a patriot and as someone who does genuinely appreciate technological advancement and that ability to consider advanced technologies for purchase, the rumor that AMD may also consider partnering with Samsung brings some hope as well. And since Samsung is considering a fab in central Texas, that'd make even more sense!

I say outspend - because all of TSMCs production is already bought for the next few years. Intel is already in the queue, so to speak, but behind a lot of other big players — mostly for (rumored) GPUs, but TSMC doesn’t really care what’s on the wafers, just how many wafers you want to run.

I say outspend - because all of TSMCs production is already bought for the next few years. Intel is already in the queue, so to speak, but behind a lot of other big players — mostly for (rumored) GPUs, but TSMC doesn’t really care what’s on the wafers, just how many wafers you want to run.
Well, I know I've seen PR copy on how TSMC is proud to be a customer of AMDs, but on reflection you'd figure they would say that about any high profile customer... including Intel.

So I concede that point :)

Hahaha that add cracked me up. Good job on this Intel. Nice to know you aren't asleep at the wheel anymore, even if it's just an advert.

With the experiences i had lately with windows update, im looking at disabling updates permanently.
Last 2 just crashed my computer. The last one did recovered on its own, the one before did something to the mbr, which I had to clear whatever and recover whatever, and mess with the bios for some reason ( i was so pissed don't even remember)
Any tool to disable updates permanently? What I found so far, im not too sure of.

With the experiences i had lately with windows update, im looking at disabling updates permanently.
Last 2 just crashed my computer. The last one did recovered on its own, the one before did something to the mbr, which I had to clear whatever and recover whatever, and mess with the bios for some reason ( i was so pissed don't even remember)
Any tool to disable updates permanently? What I found so far, im not too sure of.
Nope, and I wrote a post last night about it in the OS subforum.

You're not going to disable Windows updates. And you shouldn't. And yes, that sucks, but having your system compromised and your private information stolen is worse, so I guess we're all along for this ride.

Become a Patron!
Back