Intel Launches On Demand, a Pay-As-You-Go Chip Licensing Program

Hahaha

You act like this isn’t a certainty.
At the moment, AMD has them cornered enough they can’t get very greedy and I’m sure server ARM like Gravitron is taking a cut too - Intel is certainly losing data center market. In the short term this likely gives Intel flexibility to make the same silicon across the board and not worry about how they stock the different combinations of Xeon prefixes and suffixes. If AMD falls behind again, though, I have no illusion that Intel will use something like this to increase margin.

Hahaha

You act like this isn’t a certainty.

Well, the price of any good or service is what customers are willing to pay for it.

If the price of the base part plus the unlock of the needed features become too much, then customers are going to find another solution.

That's the price level they are already at, so the new pricing arrangement will need to be designed so they don't lose customers.

Again to reiterate, this only really works for the enterprise market where running a appliance VM to track licensing on your systems and report back into the vendor is kind of already done for so many other items what's one more?

Kinda reminds me of how BMW puts heated seats behind a paywall. You bought the car, it already has the capability for heated seats built into the seat hardware, but you are locked outta it by software until you pony up the dough.

OEMs have already started using AMD's PSB to tie their workstation (Threadripper Pro) CPUs to the motherboard firmware, such that they can't be swapped into other systems or sold on the secondhand market. 🚯♻️
Again to reiterate, this only really works for the enterprise market where running a appliance VM to track licensing on your systems and report back into the vendor is kind of already done for so many other items what's one more?
I don't mean to single out your post, as it's certainly a common attitude, but isn't that a dangerous mentality? If we're not vigilant, it won't be long before we find ourselves in a world in which our software won't work without an Internet connection because of draconian activation requirements. Future gaming PCs will have dozens of bloated launchers running in the background, each with its own DRM solution to maximize wasted CPU cycles. Privacy? We will have none. Operating systems will profile our behavior and report back their corporate masters. They may even show us ads (imagine ads in the Start Menu!). People will stop reading, and turn to social media and YouTube for all of their informational needs.

That all may sound like some far-fetched conspiracy theory nonsense from a dystopian science fiction novel, but I do believe that some of what I mentioned has the potential to become a reality if we're not careful. At minimum, we're going to need an educated and critical-thinking populace if we're to stand a chance.

OEMs have already started using AMD's PSB to tie their workstation (Threadripper Pro) CPUs to the motherboard firmware, such that they can't be swapped into other systems or sold on the secondhand market. 🚯♻️

I don't mean to single out your post, as it's certainly a common attitude, but isn't that a dangerous mentality? If we're not vigilant, it won't be long before we find ourselves in a world in which our software won't work without an Internet connection because of draconian activation requirements. Future gaming PCs will have dozens of bloated launchers running in the background, each with its own DRM solution to maximize wasted CPU cycles. Privacy? We will have none. Operating systems will profile our behavior and report back their corporate masters. They may even show us ads (imagine ads in the Start Menu!). People will stop reading, and turn to social media and YouTube for all of their informational needs.

That all may sound like some far-fetched conspiracy theory nonsense from a dystopian science fiction novel, but I do believe that some of what I mentioned has the potential to become a reality if we're not careful. At minimum, we're going to need an educated and critical-thinking populace if we're to stand a chance.
Become?

Geez, you guys must be yanking my chain. ;)
There's no way anyone actually took that comment seriously. It wasn't that subtle.

Geez, you guys must be yanking my chain. ;)
There's no way anyone actually took that comment seriously. It wasn't that subtle.

Too fast. I, for one, appreciated the satire ... albeit too late for this comment. :cool:

I will say that the time has come when hardware manufacturers have decided, and not without some benefit to the user, that being able to mass production technology and then lock down features via paywalls, is here. I don't deny the many slippery slopes entailed with it but there could still be niches the enthusiasts can exploit to their benefit.

Become a Patron!
Back