Intel Releasing Its First 7 Nanometer Desktop CPUs, Meteor Lake, In 2023

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-gelsinger-7-nm-meteor-lake-q2-2021-tape-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Intel is planning to release “Meteor Lake,” its first family of 7 nanometer Core desktop processors, in around two years’ time. The news was shared by CEO Pat Gelsinger during yesterday’s Intel Unleashed: Engineering the Future webcast, in which he clarified that blue team’s 7 nanometer process development was going well enough for Meteor Lake to be taped out later this year. Gelsinger also revealed that Intel will outsource some CPU production to the world’s most advanced semiconductor foundry, TSMC.

“[…] leveraging our 7 nanometer process, we are advancing the development of lead data center and client CPUs starting with Meteor Lake, our high-volume 2023 client product,” Gelsinger said. “In fact, we expect to tape in our 7 nanometer compute tile from Meteor Lake in the...

Continue reading...

7nm Intel sounds good, I hope it turns out better than 10nm. AMD will probably be on 5nm TSMC, but I'm guessing intel 7nm will be about equal to TSMC 5nm?

I'm in too, if it fabbed in the U.S. -- It's going to be interesting seeing where pricing goes and inventories too.

One wonders what AMD will be at in 2 years. 5nm? smaller?
AMD will be at whatever's left to order from TSMC after Apple and Nvidia get their share ;)

I'm in, if its fabbed in the U.S.
I'll take 'not fabbed within reach of the PLA'- North America works, but why exclude other trading partners?

I'm in too, if it fabbed in the U.S. -- It's going to be interesting seeing where pricing goes and inventories too.
Should also be mentioned that Intel has fabs literally all over the world, so it's kind of awkward to add this caveat at all. You could easily get an Intel product that has some component produced in the US and the rest produced on other continents. For all we know, Intel doesn't even have any products that aren't produced from components on more than one continent, let alone just one country!

AMD will be at whatever's left to order from TSMC after Apple and Nvidia get their share ;)

I'll take 'not fabbed within reach of the PLA'- North America works, but why exclude other trading partners?

Should also be mentioned that Intel has fabs literally all over the world, so it's kind of awkward to add this caveat at all. You could easily get an Intel product that has some component produced in the US and the rest produced on other continents. For all we know, Intel doesn't even have any products that aren't produced from components on more than one continent, let alone just one country!

Bring the work here. Other nations can make their own ****.
The U.S should not be dependent on ANY nation for this, too much at stake.

This is a good direction to go:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/int...-to-build-two-new-chip-plants-in-arizona.html

Well Apple is definitely front of the queue, but I think AMD is over nVidia over at TSMC. That doesn't mean nVidia couldn't throw money at it to jump ahead -- that's what Apple does, after all, but AMD fabs ~a lot~ over at TSMC right now, and nVidia... does not.

One wonders what AMD will be at in 2 years. 5nm? smaller?
In 2 years? 5nm is a good bet. Depending on when TSMC gets 5nm online - Apple already has the foundry's entire first year's worth of production locked up in contract (and supposedly iPhone 12 and next gen iPad/Mx devices will be on 5nm later this year?), but I'd imagine AMD is not far behind.

That said - with how Intel has traditionally named their process nodes, versus the competition. 7nm isn't really 7nm... it's more a marketing term, and Intel has always been more conservative with their naming conventions that the competition (*cough* TSMC). I would expect Intel's 7nm to compete favorably with TSMC's 5nm

wow that was fast... I mean that will be fast if they manage to acomplish it.
I mean they have been stuck with fixing 10nm for like a decade now

Good, hopefully this push towards improvement is good for the masses, and competitors.

Sadly, I do not have any Intel boxes, besides an older X58 Xeon system. Biggest reason for that change was price and the Spectre, Meltdown stuff. I am interested in how this goes on the video card front and what they may offer in cpu's

Well Apple is definitely front of the queue, but I think AMD is over nVidia over at TSMC. That doesn't mean nVidia couldn't throw money at it to jump ahead -- that's what Apple does, after all, but AMD fabs ~a lot~ over at TSMC right now, and nVidia... does not.
I'd challenge that, at least as much as neither of us has provable numbers ;)

More to the point, Nvidia is a 'steadier' customer. AMD is only steady on the CPU side the last few years, and they're only steady on the GPU side when mining is a factor.

If we were to take the picture today and project that forward, then yeah, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly! On the other hand, if we take it in terms of the last decade, or however far back AMD committed seppuku with Bulldozer, one would definitely rate Nvidia as the 'better' customer. However TSMC takes that.

The biggest thing in AMDs favor isn't even their CPUs; there's a growing market for AMD CPUs primarily because Intel has their fabs in disarray, and TSMC is well aware of that fact. They'd be fiducially negligent if they weren't. The biggest factor that's not likely to change is Microsoft's and Sony's consoles, as AMD may not be able to continue to deliver performance gains relative to Intel's 7nm parts and beyond, and AMD may well never get their desktop GPU game caught up to Nvidia.

In 2 years? 5nm is a good bet. Depending on when TSMC gets 5nm online - Apple already has the foundry's entire first year's worth of production locked up in contract (and supposedly iPhone 12 and next gen iPad/Mx devices will be on 5nm later this year?), but I'd imagine AMD is not far behind.
If you had to choose between fabbing AMD CPUs and Apple CPUs, which would you choose?

Apple went and took AMDs 'APU' idea, that of a desktop SoC with 'co-processors' for specific workloads (not just a GPU for graphics), and Apple made it a reality. I was pricing out the Macbook Air, and man, I could probably use one of those with just the upgrade to 16GB of RAM for... years. That's all the computer that most people need, so at this point, I'd definitely choose Apple over AMD.

Sadly, I do not have any Intel boxes, besides an older X58 Xeon system. Biggest reason for that change was price and the Spectre, Meltdown stuff. I am interested in how this goes on the video card front and what they may offer in cpu's
I can't say that I'm as annoyed by those; at home, yeah, that sucks, but AMD was too slow to market and far too slow to get their platform (mostly) in order for me to have switched. I was set once the 8700K came out, and that socket runs in four of the systems I have. Had Zen 2 been available, I would have gone that direction instead, but at that time Zen+ wasn't even really stable yet.

Obviously I'd grab a 5000-series, probably a 12-core today, and I'd recommend the same for someone with a similar user profile as myself.

I'd challenge that, at least as much as neither of us has provable numbers

Well... provable is debatable, but I think all the estimates pretty much align. The second link even shows production quotas for other companies, which is insightful.

The best move TSMC can make is to expand their available footprint for 5nm and lower production. Build out facilities to support some increased demand without putting the fab hardware in. Then as it comes to fruition you can install the hardware and shift employees from less profitable lines to the new facilities while you refresh and update the old. Move workload to global foundries if needed.

Amd should invest some of its new found capital into a partnership with global foundries to let them grow and put in more current production lines.

Just my opinion of course.

As a side note. AMD needs to buy into a partnership with TSMC with a cash infusion for a small percentage giving them leverage to make sure their Chips are produced and they get fab time.

As a side note. AMD needs to buy into a partnership with TSMC with a cash infusion for a small percentage giving them leverage to make sure their Chips are produced and they get fab time.
Hmm.. I would think AMD should diversify away from TSMC - get some of their product over on Samsung's processes, for example, or invest/encourage in GloFo or others to get them to get their processes up to snuff. Having everything under one basket is courting disaster, and AMD isn't even in the driver's seat in that relationship - you are entirely dependent on TSMC, and their influence and priorities are easily swayed by other customers.

All it would take is nVidia or Intel (or some other vested third party) going to TSMC with a dump truck of cash and bumping AMD to the back of the line, and AMD moves from all steam ahead to dead in the water. I'd argue TSMC right now already is the biggest thing holding AMD back.

Too bad AMD doesnt have the funds to start it's own US based Fab.

Intel will receive a lot of good will and gov/business contracts as they seek to build more in the US.
Rightfully so.

The EU as well should have some kind of "home based" fab. It really needs to be spread out more.

Too bad AMD doesnt have the funds to start it's own US based Fab.

Intel will receive a lot of good will and gov/business contracts as they seek to build more in the US.
Rightfully so.

The EU as well should have some kind of "home based" fab. It really needs to be spread out more.

I thought that Global Foundries was a subsidiary of AMD at this point? Is it completely independent?

Nope it's owned by the State of Abuh Dhabi. Completely That's kind of sad.

I thought that Global Foundries was a subsidiary of AMD at this point? Is it completely independent?

Nope it's owned by the State of Abuh Dhabi. Completely That's kind of sad.
GloFo was AMDs foundry that they spun off once they started having money issues. They had an exclusivity agreement to only source through GloFo through 7nm, and that’s probably a driving factor in why GloFo decided not to pursue 7nm

Become a Patron!
Back