Intel Rumored to Have Offered $2 Billion for RISC-V Chipmaker SiFive

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
sifive-logo-gray-1024x576.jpg
Image: SiFive

Things continue to develop in what has become a volatile market for semiconductor manufacturing. From shortages to buyouts, the landscape has been quite tumultuous in recent years. Sources believe that RISC-V chipmaker SiFive has been receiving both investment and buyout offers. One of the rumored parties is Intel; it reportedly offered $2 billion for the growing company. This seems plausible in light of NVIDIA’s attempt to acquire ARM. RISC-V is also involved with AI in the datacenter, which Intel is heavily invested in.

Read more about why @TheNextPlatform says AI is RISC-V’s trojan horse into the datacenter in this piece by @NicoleHemsoth: https://t.co/Q7s1NwAOFu...

Continue reading...

I guess RISC-V couldn't fly under the radar forever; and this all before it's a widely available 'thing' from a tinkerer's perspective.

And I can't say whether Intel buying SiFive would be good or bad. I assume that would depend on Intel's unknown intentions here.

What are they making chips on a 10nm process already and Intel is trying to catch up?

I guess RISC-V couldn't fly under the radar forever; and this all before it's a widely available 'thing' from a tinkerer's perspective.

And I can't say whether Intel buying SiFive would be good or bad. I assume that would depend on Intel's unknown intentions here.
Itanium again.

My initial reaction is that they are looking for an ARM competitor, and they have finally realized x86 will never be that. Not necessarily to get into mobile, but you have an awful lot of low compute general CPU products out there, and ARM has pretty much been thrown in all of them - IOT devices, embedded controllers, etc.

There's no good reason RISC-V couldn't be used there, except for the fact that ARM already has the foothold, and a 20? year head start. I can't really see this making a push against Intel's x86 side - I think this is all about expanding market share into different areas, because x86 has reached it's market potential, and the only growth there is just in following typical ebb and flow of economies and population growth.

I would bet, had nVidia not snatched up ARM, Intel would be looking at cozy up ARM hard instead. I'm actually surprised they hadn't... AMD did years ago, and had some x86 CPUs with ARM cores. They didn't do much with it, apart from make some hybrid x86/ARM server packages, but they have the licensing and such in place pre-nVidia buyout.

Intel has always just been so blinded by x86 - everything had to be x86 for them... even their first real GPU effort (larrabee). I guess when all you have is a hammer... I can't help but think that was a marketing/C-level decision to leverage their existing IP portfolio, and all the engineers just had to suffer through trying to pound that round peg into the square hole.

All that said - in five years, this could look like prescient genius. It all depends on how nVidia treats ARM and it's existing customer base. nVidia doesn't exactly have a great reputation when it comes to open technology standards, and they could very well stagnate the ARM market - existing customers locked into grandfathered licenses of old revisions, but new revisions come with so many strings that it isn't appealing or cost effective. The ball really is in nVidia's court on this one.

Last edited:
My initial reaction is that they are looking for an ARM competitor, and they have finally realized x86 will never be that. Not necessarily to get into mobile, but you have an awful lot of low compute general CPU products out there, and ARM has pretty much been thrown in all of them - IOT devices, embedded controllers, etc.

There's no good reason RISC-V couldn't be used there, except for the fact that ARM already has the foothold, and a 20? year head start. I can't really see this making a push against Intel's x86 side - I think this is all about expanding market share into different areas, because x86 has reached it's market potential, and the only growth there is just in following typical ebb and flow of economies and population growth.

I would bet, had nVidia not snatched up ARM, Intel would be looking at cozy up ARM hard instead. I'm actually surprised they hadn't... AMD did years ago, and had some x86 CPUs with ARM cores. They didn't do much with it, apart from make some hybrid x86/ARM server packages, but they have the licensing and such in place pre-nVidia buyout.

Intel has always just been so blinded by x86 - everything had to be x86 for them... even their first real GPU effort (larrabee). I guess when all you have is a hammer... I can't help but think that was a marketing/C-level decision to leverage their existing IP portfolio, and all the engineers just had to suffer through trying to pound that round peg into the square hole.

All that said - in five years, this could look like prescient genius. It all depends on how nVidia treats ARM and it's existing customer base. nVidia doesn't exactly have a great reputation when it comes to open technology standards, and they could very well stagnate the ARM market - existing customers locked into grandfathered licenses of old revisions, but new revisions come with so many strings that it isn't appealing or cost effective. The ball really is in nVidia's court on this one.

It is quite the opposite for Intel. Intel has been desperate to migrate away from x86 for years so they did not have to compete with AMD (and to a lesser degree at the time still VIA/Transmeta) and could start from scratch with an ISA not tied to legacy x86 instructions. Itanium was where they wanted to go and figured the 64bit transition would take care of killing of x86 but no one except HP wanted to follow them. AMD forced the x86-64 extension so Intel had to change tact and follow to stay in the x86 market since that was all that was left to them.

It is quite the opposite for Intel. Intel has been desperate to migrate away from x86 for years so they did not have to compete with ADM (and to a lesser degree at the time still VIA/Transmeta) and could start from scratch with an ISA not tied to legacy x86 instructions. Itanium was where they wanted to go and figured the 64bit transition would take care of killing of x86 but no one except HP wanted to follow them. AMD forced teh x86-64 extension so Intel had to change tact and follow to stay in the x86 market since that was all that was left to them.
Don’t forget that Intel has also been insistent on their 60% margin, and they essentially ceded the mobile market to arm because they were worried that they would have to drop into the 30% range to compete. RISC being a simpler ISA might be a way for them to maintain margin and also compete against arm without also tanking margins on Xeon (which is happening already anyway).

It is quite the opposite for Intel. Intel has been desperate to migrate away from x86 for years so they did not have to compete with AMD (and to a lesser degree at the time still VIA/Transmeta) and could start from scratch with an ISA not tied to legacy x86 instructions. Itanium was where they wanted to go and figured the 64bit transition would take care of killing of x86 but no one except HP wanted to follow them. AMD forced the x86-64 extension so Intel had to change tact and follow to stay in the x86 market since that was all that was left to them.
Intel itself has repeatedly stated over the years that they don't (didn't?) see AMD as competition. For decades Intel has only competed with itself.
Its only reacently that Intel has been forced to play catch up (too late?) and is looking for options.

Thing is, despite its efforts, Intel reallly sucks for mobile compared to ARM. Their strategy of focusing on mobile and "leave" the desktop market hasn't worked. Now AMD kicked them in the nuts with Ryzen on the desktop and Apple is doing the same on mobile with M1.

Don’t forget that Intel has also been insistent on their 60% margin, and they essentially ceded the mobile market to arm because they were worried that they would have to drop into the 30% range to compete. RISC being a simpler ISA might be a way for them to maintain margin and also compete against arm without also tanking margins on Xeon (which is happening already anyway).

Atom was terrible for mobile, it was slower, its gpu sucked big time, it ran pretty hot and was quite power hungry compared to ARM from the time.

Atom was terrible for mobile, it was slower, its gpu sucked big time, it ran pretty hot and was quite power hungry compared to ARM from the time.
Yes, this is correct. Atom was intentionally neutered because there was concern in Intel that if they brought a competitive chip to netbook / handheld mobile, it would put pressure on their high margin desktop and server CPUs.

Yes, this is correct. Atom was intentionally neutered because there was concern in Intel that if they brought a competitive chip to netbook / handheld mobile, it would put pressure on their high margin desktop and server CPUs.
Doesn't compute, but I've seen stranger things happen :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Doesn't compute, but I've seen stranger things happen :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
This wasn’t the article I was looking for, but after skimming part 1, it looks close enough:

Interesting articles, don't really agree with them, but I guess they should know better.

Given that Intel got 'stuck' on 14nm, looks like mobile wasn't really a good market for them at the time.

Funny thing is, though, that with all of the abstraction being built into application code, they could probably stage a comeback. With x86 or RISC-V.

No, really. Atom was intentionally restricted and made to be cheaper to manufacture.
Later versions were just straight up Skylake... not terrible at all for what you were getting, especially with many passive implementations.

Later versions were just straight up Skylake... not terrible at all for what you were getting, especially with many passive implementations.

I have a 'Celeron N4100' in my laptop, basically a Goldmont Plus Atom. It was around Silvermont (aka Bay Trail) where they finally had a chip that didn't suck *** and wasn't held back by in order execution processing design.

Pentium Silver is another branding for chips that are all Atom rebrands. So Atom hasn't gone away at all. It was just renamed. I ended up preferring the 4 discrete cores on a *Trail Atom SOC over a Skylake two core mobile cpu. (Man did Skylake itself have issues, but that's besides the point)

For perspective The N4100 beats a Core 2 Quad Q8400 at about 6% of the wattage. Nothing spectacular overall but decent for a mobile, fanless CPU.

Still terrible for phones, however.

I think intel never found a suitable market for Atom.

I was too power hungry for phones, too underpowered/powerhungry for tablets and too underpowered for netbooks/chromebooks.
Besides it ran windows terribly, it ran android pretty bad (many apps ran horrible or not at all under x86 android) and it ran linux more or less fine.

I think intel never found a suitable market for Atom.

I was too power hungry for phones, too underpowered/powerhungry for tablets and too underpowered for netbooks/chromebooks.
Besides it ran windows terribly, it ran android pretty bad (many apps ran horrible or not at all under x86 android) and it ran linux more or less fine.
I agree, but that narrow window of opportunity just meant it wasn't a great product for wide spread adoption. It leaves you with ... some NUC-style computers (POS devices, higher powered HTPC type streaming boxes, etc), maybe some very entry level servers, and lower/mid-level NAS devices.

Become a Patron!
Back