Intel Xe Graphics on the Horizon!

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
RajaTweet-1024x768.jpg

Most know that Raja Koduri left AMD a while back and went over to Intel to head up their new discreet GPU project. Needless to say many of us are anxiously awaiting to see what Intel will offer. We’ve mostly only had choices of either Red or Green when it comes to consumer level GPU solutions for the majority of the last two decades now so having Intel back in the game is pretty exciting.

Thanks to PCGamesN for catching this tweet the other day. Could it be a teaser for a release in June 2020 or at least a major reveal? Probably a safe bet yes but only time will tell. There’s already been speculation that Intel will likely start with mid to lower tier cards but no one knows for sure yet. Either way I feel pretty confident we’ll hear more in the coming months.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm anxiously awaiting - I'm pretty sure, for at least the first revision, Xe won't be something I'm interested in as a Day 1 purchase.

I am curious though, and hopeful that it will at least inject a bit of new life into the GPU race, which seems to have stagnated.

If XE can come in at AMD level out of the gate, we all win! Having a third player in the game will only benefit us as I see it!

Competing with AMD doesn’t do much... they already have some stiff competition in that market space.

Competing with AMD doesn’t do much... they already have some stiff competition in that market space.
My line of thinking is, if XE comes in horridly below AMD, then what's the point? If, after the first swing, they are able to hit AMD's current performance, things are only going to look better down the road..

They need to go after Nvidia if we're to see real price reductions. Nvidia just doesn't feel threatened enough by AMD. If they can position themselves as an Nvidia alternative then that hurts AMD, which is what they're real goal should be.

They need to go after Nvidia if we're to see real price reductions. Nvidia just doesn't feel threatened enough by AMD. If they can position themselves as an Nvidia alternative then that hurts AMD, which is what they're real goal should be.

I agree, but not in all market niches.

If you look at nVidia pricing on the 1600 series - it's very competitive. Same with the recent price reductions on the Super refresh (although by the time that occured, the price structure had already shifted to much to the upper end even with that latest reduction we still are nowhere near where it all started).

It's only at the higher end where nVidia isn't really threatened, and it shows ($1k Ti, $3k Titan). At the mid/lower end, and particularly the market where OEM/Laptop sales go to, it's still very much dog eat dog competition.

And from everything i've read, that's exactly where Intel plans on starting out... in the most competitive existing marketplace.

Become a Patron!
Back