Intel XeSS Launch Moves Back to Summer, Dolmen Releasing with Only AMD FSR and NVIDIA DLSS This Week

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel's Arc Alchemist graphics card effort has allegedly been wrought with delays, and now it seems that the company's new AI-enhanced upscaling technology is no exception.

Go to post

This is the first I've heard of this "Dolmen" game, but I have to admit I find it hilarious.

When I was a kid growing up, "Dolmen" was Swedish youth slang for "the penis".

For instance, during a game of dodgeball someone might say:
"Han tog bollen i dolmen" ~ "The ball hit him in the dick"

Originally it was the Swedish word for Dolma, the type of food traditionally made from meat rolled up in grape leaves (in Sweden they typically use cabbage leaves), but the foods elongated shape made it morph into a slang for penis among swedish kids in the 80's (and probably before). No idea if it is still in active use.

As the Swedish Game Reactor blog said (on the topic of funny product names)

"Dolmen
Vi måste ju ändå börja med spelet som nyligen släppes. Alla vi som skrev nyheter om spelet hade ju så kul med att vi äntligen skulle få se Dolmen, känna på den, att det var en upphetsande tanke att få se mer av Dolmen. Vill du se Dolmen har vi bilder i vår recension."

"The Dick
We have to start with the game that was recently released. All of us who wrote news about the game had so much fun, saying things like that we were finally going to get to see the dick, feel it, that it was an exciting thought to see more of the dick. If you want to see the dick, we have pictures in our review. "

Last edited:
I've only heard of this game in relation to XeSS. Launching without it is not a good sign. The question is changing from "When will Intel's cards launch?" to "How bad will the Intel cards flop?"

I've only heard of this game in relation to XeSS. Launching without it is not a good sign. The question is changing from "When will Intel's cards launch?" to "How bad will the Intel cards flop?"

I think it is perfectly normal for there to be delays the first time you do something completely different from what you normally do, like Intel is doing with their new GPU's.

If anything I think they made public commitments on launch dates too soon for something so new that they don't have experience working with.

Unexpected delays as you discover new problems late in the cycle are the norm for novel products. I think they can learn fast from it though, and then proceed to tick-tock the **** out of the GPU's.

The question is, will they? With the worst of the extreme GPU crunch now behind us, and crazy prices starting to wind down, the question is if they still have the same incentive.

I think it is perfectly normal for there to be delays the first time you do something completely different from what you normally do, like Intel is doing with their new GPU's.
I respectfully disagree.

Intel has been making GPUs for a very, very long time, and (for good or worse) they have headhunted a ton of "talent" for the team. I don't allow them the excuse of "it's their first rodeo".

I'll give you that there are differences between a discrete and interated GPU. I won't accept that those differences require years, plural (Discrete Xe was first announced June 2018, and has probably been internally bantered for much longer - even Xe isn't their first attempt at discrete cards), to sort out and overcome the differences. Especially when you have access to all the required IP and manufacturing resources you could hope for.

Last edited:
I want to be more forgiving to Intel as well but at this point, I've lost track of all the "coming soon" announcements only for them to be followed by some kind of delay announcement, or nothing at all. I want all the best for Raj and the team but they really need to get something out of the gate. At this point, if I had a dollar for every delay or missed launch date I could probably buy a competitor's GPU. I know that's an exaggeration but there have been a lot of them. It's a shame because there are a lot of folks waiting for that 3rd player in the game.

I want to be more forgiving to Intel as well but at this point, I've lost track of all the "coming soon" announcements only for them to be followed by some kind of delay announcement, or nothing at all. I want all the best for Raj and the team but they really need to get something out of the gate. At this point, if I had a dollar for every delay or missed launch date I could probably buy a competitor's GPU. I know that's an exaggeration but there have been a lot of them. It's a shame because there are a lot of folks waiting for that 3rd player in the game.
True but if they launch to soon and it does not work correctly, there wont be a 3rd player anymore as everyone would say 'I told you they could not do it;".

True but if they launch to soon and it does not work correctly, there wont be a 3rd player anymore as everyone would say 'I told you they could not do it;".
As the saying goes: Put up or shut up.

They shouldn’t have thrown out arbitrary release dates if they don’t have confidence in hitting them.

Sure. They can claim they made them I guess. Limited release of one laptop only available to South Korea counts as a hard launch for a discrete GPU right?

When I was a kid growing up, "Dolmen" was Swedish youth slang for "the penis".

For instance, during a game of dodgeball someone might say:
"Han tog bollen i dolmen" ~ "The ball hit him in the dick"

Originally it was the Swedish word for Dolma, the type of food made from meat rolled up in grape leaves, but the foods elongated shape made it morph into a slang for penis among swedish kids in the 80's (and probably before). No idea if it is still in active use.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Become a Patron!
Back