It was just too good to be true

Stoly

FPS Regular
So people got their hopes up with the 7900XTX going head to head with the RTX4090.
That's just not gonna happen.

There were some rumors that Navi31 wouldn't be as fast as initially thought.

And now AMD's Frank Azor said in an interview they are aiming to compete with the RTX4080. And given AMDs price, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7900XTX is trading blows depending on the game.

As per twitter user XpeaGPU, his AIB sources in Shenzen told him that AMD had planned for 3.2ghz overclocks of N31 but a hardware bug unfortunately put paid to the plans.

Hopefully there will be a respin (7950 XTX) in 6 months

https://www-3dcenter-org.translate....2022?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-r...-8ghz-cant-hit-3ghz-due-to-design-flaw-rumor/

my guess is that this doesn't impact N33 (7700 XT / 7600 XT) as it is a well known 6nm process running single chip

XpeaGPU's sources claim that this issue exists in Navi 32 (7800 XT) but will be fixed before release !!

And now AMD's Frank Azor said in an interview they are aiming to compete with the RTX4080. And given AMDs price, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7900XTX is trading blows depending on the game.
If you figure that AMD will ask as much as they think they'll get for the quantity of cards they're planning on producing - we can estimate performance pretty well.

So yeah, ~4080 16GB level.

They're also still behind in RT performance, and FSR is still trailing DLSS in their respective best implementations, and that's leaving DLSS 3.0 off the table, that's one feature most folks aren't really sold on for very obvious reasons.

But, where AMD is picking up is in the 'other than games' segment. Disappointing for those that only care about gaming performance, and even perhaps specific games at specific resolutions and specific levels of performance, yet still a pretty big step forward for propelling them to greater mindshare and hopefully better marketshare - all while pushing their competitors to do even better in return.

Not only does AMD have AV1 transcoding done in hardware, but they also have the software side working pretty well too, as well as good support for content creation applications from Adobe. Mind you, personally I've avoided AMD for content creation and my primary laptop and desktop after having had to pull an AMD GPU out of my wife's computer and replace it with a slower Nvidia GPU just to get Photoshop stable. And every release since, I've heard at least a few reviewers mention weird stability issues, whether talking about the discrete GPUs or the APUs.

AMD was confident enough in their unveiling conference to outright tout support for Adobe apps, and to me, this is a big step forward. I think it will be for most others that see GPUs as perhaps five-year investments, starting life in a gaming machine or workstation (or hybrid), and then moving on to secondary systems and perhaps serving their last years in say servers or spare systems. For those that sell their GPUs, this isn't as big of a deal obviously, but it is something that has kept many folks solidly in the Nvidia camp for their primary GPU purchases.

Also, it's obvious that AMD didn't really design in a performance margin for the release RX7000 GPUs to be able to compete with Nvidia's top-end. However, it does look like AMD is targeting higher-end buyers with a balanced product that in all likelihood will look good on the performance charts and even better on the efficiency charts.

I expect this generation to be more competitive as more cards release, and I look forward to David, Brent, and Rick giving them a proper shakedown!

I was ok with how the 6000 series shaped up versus nVidia's 3000 series. I thought AMD priced it about right relatively speaking.

I would say AMD fell down on execution, but given that Covid and mining boom and god knows what all else happened during that generation... I dunno - I'll cut them some slack there. They at least fell down on marketing; they set an expectation that availability would be wide - or at least much improved over nVidia's stock situation at the start of the generation, but nothing had availability at all, for many months. So at best it was just a failure of marketing and setting expectations, which is still a failure.

But as far as pricing and relative performance, I thought AMD was right where it needed to be, and I think this current generation is going to shape up to be about the same. I never had any expectation that AMD would compete against a 4090, and certainly not if they are pricing it 33% lower. Now if they can just deliver on marketing and/or execution.

But as far as pricing and relative performance, I thought AMD was right where it needed to be
I got to wonder - while online retailers had spotty stock at all times, for most of last year I could walk through Microcenter and find representatives of the full AMD RX6000 range, while Nvidia products were likely awarded in storefront brawls.

Reasoning? Well, as absurdly overpriced as Nvidia's products were when they could be found in stock, AMD's were even higher.

I got to wonder - while online retailers had spotty stock at all times, for most of last year I could walk through Microcenter and find representatives of the full AMD RX6000 range, while Nvidia products were likely awarded in storefront brawls.

Reasoning? Well, as absurdly overpriced as Nvidia's products were when they could be found in stock, AMD's were even higher.
That wasn’t MSRP pricing was it?

4090 has been released, where can I buy one? Oh right, NV released it, got the gaming crown, then pulled them back so they can get rid of their 3000 stock. All AMD has to do is have cards available, and people will buy them. I'm sure there will be another big drop right around the xtx release. I for one will get a 7900xtx because its not NV.

4090 has been released, where can I buy one? Oh right, NV released it, got the gaming crown, then pulled them back so they can get rid of their 3000 stock. All AMD has to do is have cards available, and people will buy them. I'm sure there will be another big drop right around the xtx release.
This seems pretty pessimistic - stock couldn't be low due to high demand, could it?

I for one will get a 7900xtx because its not NV.
Sounds pretty silly IMO. Did you buy Bulldozers for the same reason?

This seems pretty pessimistic - stock couldn't be low due to high demand, could it?

Many buy NV because its not AMD. I don't see the difference.

What CPU did Nvidia make at that time. Am I missing something here? Or are you just trying to be pedantic because someone is voting with their wallet... as we always tell people to do if performance crown isn't their goal.

What CPU did Nvidia make at that time. Am I missing something here? Or are you just trying to be pedantic because someone is voting with their wallet...
I'm calling out a declaration of emotional support for a company that makes a tool - where the poster is proclaiming that they'll buy something else regardless of the performance in relation to other offerings on the market. Ones that haven't been released or reviewed by independent reviewers.

as we always tell people to do if performance crown isn't their goal.
The performance 'crown' is rarely the goal. But getting a good value? Great, unless there are non-objective factors at play.

If
I'm calling out a declaration of emotional support for a company that makes a tool - where the poster is proclaiming that they'll buy something else regardless of the performance in relation to other offerings on the market. Ones that haven't been released or reviewed by independent reviewers.

The performance 'crown' is rarely the goal. But getting a good value? Great, unless there are non-objective factors at play.
You're buying a different brand because of perceived behavior or the other brand what's the difference. At that point its 100% based on personal perceptions.

If

You're buying a different brand because of perceived behavior or the other brand what's the difference. At that point its 100% based on personal perceptions.
...the difference between objective and subjective decision-making?

4090 has been released, where can I buy one? Oh right, NV released it, got the gaming crown, then pulled them back so they can get rid of their 3000 stock. All AMD has to do is have cards available, and people will buy them. I'm sure there will be another big drop right around the xtx release. I for one will get a 7900xtx because its not NV.
Don't forget to give scalpers some credit for that though. They don't seem to have any problem maintaining supply. Amazon has roughly 30 sellers right now that will hook you up for the low, low, prices of only $2100-2500, better hurry though because they somehow constantly manage to claim they're almost out.

1667956872731.png

The bigger issue is that NV and its partners don't have a solid plan in place to prevent this from happening so everyone else has to fend for themselves. I'm not saying that AMD is exempt from this either but NV's out-of-stock status is a bit synthetic in regards to why they don't have them when bots swoop in and gobble up the inventory. Factor in fleabay and however many of sites they pop up on and who knows how many thousands are out there.

I've also been taking notice of the various pre-built PCs that are now popping up with these on Amazon, Best Buy, and other places. Granted that is a smaller number but it's still more slices of pie off the table.

090 has been released, where can I buy one?
Several different models are at Amazon right now for about $2000 — not sure if that’s “normal” for the AIB SKU, or if they are marked up third party resales though. But plenty of them.

Several different models are at Amazon right now for about $2000 — not sure if that’s “normal” for the AIB SKU, or if they are marked up third party resales though. But plenty of them.
That actually got me curious because and I just checked the Zotac store. They actually have the Trinity in stock. It's $1599 so Amazon is definitely a scalper. I could never buy this because it just looks too much like The Orville but here's the link for anyone interested in an MSRP card.

That is one seriously ugly card.

And this is why I miss EVGA - at least their retail store had a pretty solid reputation. I know nothing about ZOTAC's store and would kind of want the protections that come with Amazon or Newegg, or even better Microcenter.

Become a Patron!
Back