J.J. Abrams Speaks about People’s Reactions to Star Wars

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Star-Wars-Rise-Of-Skywalker-1024x576.jpg

Image: Disney

Director J.J. Abrams recently spoke about the many different comments that have come up about Star Wars. He answered on this polarized topic after a screening Rise of Skywalker by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Captured by Twitter user, Kaila Ren, this moment can be seen below.

1,151 people are talking about this

Speaking on Rian’s choices to go directions no one expected he elaborated that it presented unknown challenges and options. He also explains the process of trying to continue the various story arcs and the narratives taken to address them.

We live in a moment where everything seems to immediately default to outrage, and there’s an M.O. of it’s either exactly as I see it or you’re my enemy…

“There’s such a thing as a norm that seems to be devoid of compassion and acceptance. . .”

“. . . we knew starting this, any decision we made—a design decision, a musical decision, a narrative decision—would please someone and infuriate someone else.

-J.J. Abrams

I absolutely hate what Jar Jar Abrams done to Star Trek and Star Wars, but he's not wrong. There was no way to please everyone. However, while I can agree with that its also a cop out. No one or few people are bitching about the Mandalorian. Why? It respects its source material. It also doesn't feel infused with polarizing identity politics either. The writing, while not ground breaking is certainly solid. These are all things the Disney trilogy did badly.

If they had made good movies, it wouldn't have pleased everyone. It certainly wouldn't have put them in the mess they are in now with multiple movies in this multi-billion dollar franchise losing money. It wouldn't have earned backlash from both critics and viewers the way these movies have.

I absolutely hate what Jar Jar Abrams done to Star Trek and Star Wars, but he's not wrong. There was no way to please everyone. However, while I can agree with that its also a cop out. No one or few people are bitching about the Mandalorian. Why? It respects its source material. It also doesn't feel infused with polarizing identity politics either. The writing, while not ground breaking is certainly solid. These are all things the Disney trilogy did badly.

If they had made good movies, it wouldn't have pleased everyone. It certainly wouldn't have put them in the mess they are in now with multiple movies in this multi-billion dollar franchise losing money. It wouldn't have earned backlash from both critics and viewers the way these movies have.

Exactly how I feel. Same with Rogue One. Yeah it needed more character development and whatnot, but it respects the source material.

I agree, and the Mandalorian is a good example of what you can do with decent writers.

I liked Rogue One for the most part, but not the cgi actors. Wasn't thrilled about the ending (except for 30 seconds of Vader being a badass). I even liked Solo, but moreso as just a action / train heist flick that happened to be in the SW universe. I did not like the forced inclusion of Maul though, that seemed pointless.

I have not seen Rise yet, I refuse to give them any more money after TLJ. I can wait for Redbox in 2 months.

I went to see the movies as action movies in the SW universe for my entertainement and I feel I got my money's worth, but I knew going in this was not something that was going to be groundbreaking or revolutionary just and action rollercoaster.

But he is right, whatever they would do someone would have hated it regardless. I for ojne am not that happy with Adam Driver as Kylo Ren but at least he is better they Hayden Chistensen in the prequels.

I agree with Dan. Not only the Mandalorian but Rogue One is another great example that it's possible to make a great Star Wars movie that even diehard fans will love. R1 even had a diverse cast where the only white men were the bad guys but nobody cared because they were all good actors with charisma and they fit the part.

No one complained about Sigourney Weaver being a bad *** woman in the Alien movies or Linda Hamilton being a bad *** woman in Terminator 2 because they were good characters played by great actors that looked and fit the part. Even the strong female in the Mandalorian is done right. They didn't get a 110 lingerie model, they hired a real MMA fighter! Nobody complained about Denzel being the Equalizer or Wesley Snipes being Blade or Morgan Freeman being God! Why? Because they were all good characters that were believable and fit. They were hired to make the movie better, not to fulfill a diversity quota.

Most of all, Rogue One and The Mandalorian don't take a dump on the legacy of Star Wars, taking cheap shots at the original beloved characters and most of all, doesn't use the most beloved and important movie franchise in history as a way to force feed their SJW agenda.

I hate what JJ Abrams has done to everything he's done; he raped Star Trek, now he's raping Star Wars.

Is there nothing so pure he won't defile it?

What's next; a new version of The Prisoner?
I might actually lose it if he tries that...

I hate what JJ Abrams has done to everything he's done; he raped Star Trek, now he's raping Star Wars.

Is there nothing so pure he won't defile it?

What's next; a new version of The Prisoner?
I might actually lose it if he tries that...

I don't know what that is, but it wouldn't be good.

Jj abrams... What a piece of work.
Just retire already with your millions.
I don't get how is it incompetence gets rewarded so much..
Jj abrams star strek was crap... I was like whaaa.
I mean I forgot most of it, but wasn't the into the darkness one like an episode from one of the series?
No sure I watched the last one... Wow if I did don't remember a thing, so memorable.

Uvilla, you make a good point. I try to think about iconic interesting scenes from Abrams work.... and it's kind of lacking. When did someone give him the keys to sci fi and tell him he was the man? Because clearly he isn't. You know who should have ****ing directed and participated in creating the new star wars movies? John Favreau, the man loves his source material. Iron man movies... the spider man movies he's been tied to. He should have the keys to ****ing sci fi right now. Instead its JJ Abrams for some reason and I don't think he is the right man for the job.

I mean am I wrong here? Would you all love to see a Favreau directed Star Wars big screen flick? I would!

Would you all love to see a Favreau directed Star Wars big screen flick?

I would be interested in that. Though I have nothing totally against the newer SW movies, they put that saga to bed, now let a new director take the reigns and see what they can come up with.

Become a Patron!
Back