James Cameron Speaks Up against Avatar Trolls: “They See the Movie Again and Shut the F*ck Up”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Avatar trolls and other critics of the multi-billion grossing blockbuster love to say that the movie has made little cultural impact despite its massive success at the box office and how many can't even remember the characters' names, but James Cameron isn't having any of that.

Go to post

This kind of social engagement always works in their favor! Insult customers then profit! :rolleyes:

Avatar trolls and other critics of the multi-billion grossing blockbuster love to say that the movie has made little cultural impact despite its massive success at the box office and how many can't even remember the characters' names, but James Cameron isn't having any of that.

Go to post
It's funny, despite grossing as much as it did I don't think it really had any lasting cultural impact. I've never heard anyone quoting things from the movie, nor does anyone remember the names of any of the characters. It's kind of like the Abyss. Many people liked it, but few remember much about the movie.

It's funny, despite grossing as much as it did I don't think it really had any lasting cultural impact. I've never heard anyone quoting things from the movie, nor does anyone remember the names of any of the characters. It's kind of like the Abyss. Many people liked it, but few remember much about the movie.
Avatar was an experience more than it was a movie with special roles. It was so cutting edge that it is taken as a whole rather than individual roles. I would call it successful in that regard.

I had to go look up when the movie came out, in 2009. I remember that I missed it and a couple of years later a family member mentioned they finally saw it and that it was ok. I know I didn't see it until maybe 2014-15 a few years after that family member told me about it. Its Dances with Wolves in Space with neat special effects.

I didn't like the character designs, I didn't like the space Pocahontas plagiarisation, I didn't like the cgi, and I wasn't on board with the 3D fad. There was nothing about Avatar that made me want to watch it. So I didn't. Therefore there is even less of a chance that I'll watch this.

It was so cutting edge that it is taken as a whole rather than individual roles.
What does that mean? What movie do you take in bits instead of a whole?

This kind of social engagement always works in their favor! Insult customers then profit! :rolleyes:
And we are the fools that we still pay for the crap that:

1. They made for themselves, not us
  2. They didn't research at all if it is an existing universe
  3. Even if they know something about it, they deliberately want to change it
  4. They want to use as a platform for their politics
These are the type of people hollywood is hiring nowadays to write and direct the reboots and sequels for long standing entertainment franhcises.

When everyone is doing it, even industry veterans start to, so they don't get expelled from the bubble.

It was an ok cowboys and indians movie. I don't have high hopes for the sequels.

The sad part is that Cameron isn't wrong. That's exactly what most people will do.

He is just another hollywood fossil who thinks his farts smells like roses. I'm not going to re-watch avatar because I never watched it in the first place. Also comparing binge watching TV to sitting on your *** in a theater for 3+ hours shows how far out of touch with reality he is.

Not happening.

You have to watch it the first time to be able to "re-watch" it :p

Avatar was a cool tech demo of what was possible with computer rendered special effects in 2009.

Just about everything else about it from what I have read was mediocre to bad, to the point were I wasn't even willing to watch it.

Transplanted Dances With Wolves or Pocahontas into a blue-skinned space setting.

The difference is that Dances with Wolves was actually a good film.

I don't understand how it was so financially successful. Who were all these people who watched it anyway? I don't recall any of my friends buzzing about it or running out to the theaters to watch it the first time around, and I'm not hearing anyone buzzing about these sequels either.

Were there regional differences maybe? Age group differences? Maybe it was super popular among people younger than me, or in other parts of the country than where I live? To me, the original launch of Avatar in 2009 went by almost unnoticed.

I remember exactly one line from the Abyss. "So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian water tentacle".

That's it. I barely even remember the story. I do recall thinking the film was pretty good, but it didn't exactly "stick".

But that's more or less Cameron's career in a nutshell isn't it.

Terminator 2 is probably the onle exception. That film had some cultural impact and people remember it. Everything else mostly has that "summer action movie" feel. A cheap quick thrill that is soon forgotten.

This is the only thing from Avatar I remember and it's one of my favorite scenes.
1657223065798.png

And we are the fools that we still pay for the crap that:
  1. They made for themselves, not us
  2. They didn't research at all if it is an existing universe
  3. Even if they know something about it, they deliberately want to change it
  4. They want to use as a platform for their politics
These are the type of people hollywood is hiring nowadays to write and direct the reboots and sequels for long standing entertainment franhcises.

When everyone is doing it, even industry veterans start to, so they don't get expelled from the bubble.
Understood, but you'll notice a massive drop off in profits. For example, Infinity War and Endgame brought in a whole lot more than say Eternals. And I suspect a lot of them seeing movies with points 1,2,3, and 4 have children. Maybe a lot of children. :p

And here I thought Avatar Trolls was going to be a new race in his next movie. ;)

I remember exactly one line from the Abyss. "So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian water tentacle".

That's it. I barely even remember the story. I do recall thinking the film was pretty good, but it didn't exactly "stick".

But that's more or less Cameron's career in a nutshell isn't it.

Terminator 2 is probably the onle exception. That film had some cultural impact and people remember it. Everything else mostly has that "summer action movie" feel. A cheap quick thrill that is soon forgotten.
Not really. Or rather, I think its fair to say that it's his career post-Avatar in a nutshell.

Pre-Titanic he directed the following memorable films:
  • The Terminator
  • Aliens
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • True Lies
Love it or hate it, Titanic is memorable as well. Avatar onward, not so much.

This.

Same.
As I remember everybody was raving about it, it was the talk of the town and there were only two kinds of people at my work: The ones who saw it, and the ones who wanted to see it. Except of course for me.

It was like a virus that infected everyone and made them watch it.

But nobody could point to anything about it why it was so good, it seems to me that they only said it was great because everybody else said it was great. So it might have been the greatest lie in history where people just pretended to like it, to not be excluded from the "cool club".

Become a Patron!
Back