Kingpin Products Might Find a New Home Following EVGA’s Decision To Stop Making Graphics Cards

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Vince Lucido (Kingpin) has announced that it's possible that Kingpin products might find a new home if it's meant to be. He posted on his Facebook page thanking fans for their support

Go to post

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Galax that he goes to. They're the other big Nvidia AIB that pushes their cards hard, though mostly in the Asian market.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Galax that he goes to. They're the other big Nvidia AIB that pushes their cards hard, though mostly in the Asian market.
Folks with the top-end EVGA FTW3 cards were using a 1000W Galax BIOS for overclocking - not so much as to actually pull 1000W, but to take the limits off that even these EVGA cards had, typically with sub-ambient water or LN2 cooling to race benchmarks. Granted I believe that this was before the RTX 3090 Ti K|ngp|in was available IIRC.

Still, it'd be nice to see him get picked up by a more global brand.

Folks with the top-end EVGA FTW3 cards were using a 1000W Galax BIOS for overclocking - not so much as to actually pull 1000W, but to take the limits off that even these EVGA cards had, typically with sub-ambient water or LN2 cooling to race benchmarks. Granted I believe that this was before the RTX 3090 Ti K|ngp|in was available IIRC.

Still, it'd be nice to see him get picked up by a more global brand.
Yup, and that's why I see Galax as the top choice. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and a few others churn out nice cards, but they've never been the choice for those seeking extreme overclocks.

Yup, and that's why I see Galax as the top choice. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and a few others churn out nice cards, but they've never been the choice for those seeking extreme overclocks.
In recent years I mostly favored Strix cards, since the 1080 Ti, but with RTX 3090 I tried out Strix, MSI Suprim X, and EVGA FTW3 Ultra. All performed admirably but the Suprim X seemed a notch above the rest. I'd be happy if he partnered with Galax though and even happier if it led to them returning to the U.S. I've been wanting to try them for a number of years now but I could see him partnering with MSI because they do seem to have a slight lead over the rest that are available in the U.S.

Yea you want a company without a history of modifying warranties post sale. Msi is one I could see denieing warranty because of overclocking.

My last two cards were MSI (both now outside of warranty). From the article, the reduced warranties appear restricted to a subset of cards — mostly mining-specific models or cards intended for sale in Russia — but it's still good to know. It could be taken as an indication of how much confidence MSI has in the longevity of their cards (select models, anyway).

I recall MSI doing something similar in the past, though I believe in that instance it applied to laptops.

Asus cards are effectively without warranty, as anyone who has attempted to use their service is aware.

I'd just buy a Founder's Edition these days if I were buying an Nvidia card.

Asus cards are effectively without warranty, as anyone who has attempted to use their service is aware.
I have RMA’d at least 100 Asus items, and likely many more, as the computer sales shop I worked at in high school and college had Asus as one of the brands that regularly made it though the computer builds. Never once had an issue with RMAs. Maybe things have changed since 2005, but I can’t speak to that

I have RMA’d at least 100 Asus items, and likely many more, as the computer sales shop I worked at in high school and college had Asus as one of the brands that regularly made it though the computer builds. Never once had an issue with RMAs. Maybe things have changed since 2005, but I can’t speak to that
You may have had enough volume from the same shop to make a difference. I’ve tried Asus RMA twice, and both times I severely regretted it.

You may have had enough volume from the same shop to make a difference. I’ve tried Asus RMA twice, and both times I severely regretted it.
I actually have never had to RMA anything hardware related in my over twenty years of building. If I had an issue with anything it usually showed up right away within the return window. I hope my trend continues.

If I was into LN2 overclocking and suich Kingpin would be someone's products I would want to use.... but I'm not. So... there ya go.

I actually have never had to RMA anything hardware related in my over twenty years of building. If I had an issue with anything it usually showed up right away within the return window. I hope my trend continues.
I’ve never personally RMA’d anything but hard drives (had 2 WD raptors go bad near the end of the warranty, but was still able to get them replaced, and all my OCZ SSDs failed out of warranty).

Building 50-100 computers a month for a shop, though, was enough you would get a small number of returns every month or two.

Become a Patron!
Back