Lenovo Announces ThinkVision P49w-30 Monitor with Ultrawide, 49-Inch, Double QHD Panoramic Display

I may consider that to replace my dual 4k displays.

Then again, I wonder how it would look with that in the middle and my 4k displays on each side? Talk about immersive.

Go large or go home, amiright?

Will have to wait and see. It has a lot of decent marketing bullet points, but the thing isn't out yet. The current Odyssey Neo G9 is also only 49 inch and 1440p ... same as the subject Lenovo monitor. Most important to me is the vertical screen dimension and dot pitch (the former large, and the latter small ... two diametrically opposed criteria).

I would also be concerned that it is a Samsung screen; I haven't had much luck with those. The questions I have regarding Samsung screens are whether they fail before or after the warranty period expires and whether they'll honor the warranty terms without significant hassle. I've been through the Samsung customer service gauntlet for at least two failures within the warranty period, and the outcomes spoiled any potential goodwill toward their company or their products. Mrs. Ditchinit took them on for a third failure (an appliance IIRC), and walked away resolved to never purchase a Samsung product ever again.

Either way, I'd expect to replace the screen at the end of its relatively short design life (i.e., the warranty period), and at this price point, that introduces a lot of hesitation for the initial purchase. I expect a relatively long life from my computer monitors ... say 10+ years without failure or significant degradation (e.g., screen burn in). That's the only way I can justify value for an expensive initial purchase price such as this one (i.e., ~$1500-$2000 +/-) ... $100-$150 per year (or less) is far more palatable than $750-$1000 per year.

YMMV

Become a Patron!
Back