LG 2023 lineup

I think everyone knows how happy I've been with mine. There's literally nothing on the market now, or that I know of coming in 2023, that's tempting to me. My only complaint is the HDMI CEC doesn't work with a PC so you still have to manually turn it on/off. Other than that I wouldn't mind if it was around 38" instead but I've gotten pretty used to it.

My only complaint is the HDMI CEC doesn't work with a PC so you still have to manually turn it on/off.
Coming up on near a decade ago I used an HDMI inline device to inject CEC, with the device having software and a USB connection for control. Allowed for sending the basic on / off CEC signals to the TV doable, and I don't believe that there was any added latency.

What's more annoying is that this capability hasn't been added to GPUs. Not sure what's going on there, but it would be very convenient to have HDMI-CEC just become universal.

The G3 gets a nice brightness update. All other models pretty much unchanged - so feel unafraid to go out and get those C2’s on clearance.

Probably won't get the budget for it, but I wouldn't mind picking up a 77" C2...

HDMI inline device to inject CEC
Sounds cool and I totally get it but I doubt I could find the same now that would carry over all the extra stuff being packed over this HDMI 2.1 signal (120 Hz, 12-bit full RGB, VRR, Atmos).

I know the cable I'm using is fine but I've had bad luck trying any kind of additional boxes, I mention that because on a separate note with HDMI 2.0, the 2nd HDMI out on my Onkyo TX646 died about a year ago and I tried several switches for my projector and all failed one way or the other.

Oh, I wouldn't try to do it now. Just saying that it's possible to do and has been done - but you'd want it done at the GPU level instead for all the reasons you mentioned.

Also, for PC stuff, I don't trust receivers to pass display to the TV without molesting the signal or adding latency - I go straight to the TV and use the HDMI ARC to get sound to the receiver.

Also, for PC stuff, I don't trust receivers to pass display to the TV without molesting the signal or adding latency
Yep, that's why I gave up on upgrading to a new receiver with HDMI 2.1 and dual outputs. It's great for 4k discs and the Shield but I read how even the ones that advertise 48 Gbps output but have it in the fine print that inputs are limited to 40 Gbps. The TX646, and a few others over the last 3 decades, have been great but day by day I can see myself migrating to a nice soundbar.

I've been very happy with my CX, and now my C2. Using the 48" CX as an actual TV in the bedroom now and replaced that with the 42" C2 as my monitor which I'm more comfortable with size wise.

Hey there, just thought I'd share what HDMI cables I've been using with my C2 because I know it can be a huge PIA to get ones that hold the promise of their listed specs. Sure short cables can be easy but it you need to do a long run there can be issues. They've been incredible so far (got them in June 2022). I went with these because I have the C2 on a smaller glass desk that's offset of the couch in the living room with the rig against the wall next to the C9 and then the receiver on the other end. I usually just keep it plugged into the C2 but on a very, very, drunk night a couple of weeks ago I plugged it into the receiver so I could play Witcher 3 on the wall via our 4K HDR projector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HX98THH/?tag=thefpsreview-20
1674772547033.png

The only issue I've had is that sometimes if I have the sound set to Atmos in Windows before I start gaming, sometimes something goes wonky after a Windows notification sound and a pure digital noise nightmare happens, so I usually leave it in stereo and then switch to Atmos right before I launch a game that supports it. I can't say if it's the cable or TV but I'm pretty sure I'm using it to its max bandwidth ability. Otherwise, 3840x2160, RBG Full 12-bit, 120 Hz G-Sync, HDR on, 192 kHz/24-bit Stereo.

Hey there, just thought I'd share what HDMI cables
That's a good point.

When I mounted my TV up on the wall and ran cables through the wall, I was having issues later once I upgraded to an Atmos-capable receiver and that wasn't even 120Hz, that was plain jane 60Hz. A cable upgrade fixed the problem ultimately, but it's always a pain in the butt when you have to pull everything out and get your hands up in the insulation to route it behind the drywall. Those are also 15' runs.

I don't know that my cable would support 120Hz or not, this was done a couple of years ago, so if I ever upgrade the TV to a newer model I may have to swap the cable out yet again. Otherwise I'd dig up the make/model of mine and post, but I don't think it would suit what most people are going to be looking for anymore.

Thanks for the reference to something that's more or less been verified.

That's a good point.

When I mounted my TV up on the wall and ran cables through the wall, I was having issues later once I upgraded to an Atmos-capable receiver and that wasn't even 120Hz, that was plain jane 60Hz. A cable upgrade fixed the problem ultimately, but it's always a pain in the butt when you have to pull everything out and get your hands up in the insulation to route it behind the drywall. Those are also 15' runs.

I don't know that my cable would support 120Hz or not, this was done a couple of years ago, so if I ever upgrade the TV to a newer model I may have to swap the cable out yet again. Otherwise I'd dig up the make/model of mine and post, but I don't think it would suit what most people are going to be looking for anymore.

Thanks for the reference to something that's more or less been verified.
The only downside is that QA is all over the map for this kind of stuff anymore. There's been plenty of times I've bought cables that should've worked per specs or brand and then failed but when I read reviews there were many folks saying good things about them. I'm hoping I just didn't get lucky with these but they've been good so far.

Become a Patron!
Back