LG Adds NVIDIA G-SYNC to 2019 OLED TVs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gamers with NVIDIA GPUs have a very good reason to check out LG's newest OLED TVs, as the company has added G-SYNC compatibility to its 2019 models (65/55E9, 77/65/55C9). These displays are already some of the best on the market, offering inky blacks, low input lag, and gorgeous color reproduction.

The addition of NVIDIA G-SYNC raises the bar even higher by eliminating screen tearing, as well as minimizing display stutter and input lag. Support will come via a firmware upgrade "in the weeks to follow."

…the TVs offer an ultra-fast response time with a refresh rate of up to 120Hz. Input lag – which can make the difference between victory and defeat – is barely perceptible at a 6 milliseconds range for 1440p content at 120 Hz and 13 milliseconds range for 4K content at 60 Hz. The minimal input lag of LG’s OLED TVs, of less than a frame, with no loss in picture quality, makes them the best displays for gaming.

Something from Nvidia via LG,

"“We are excited to bring G-SYNC Compatible support to LG’s 2019 OLED TVs and HDMI Variable Refresh Rate support to our GeForce RTX 20-Series GPUs,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA. “Gamers will be blown away by the responsiveness and the lifelike visuals on these TVs when playing the latest PC games featuring real-time ray-tracing powered by GeForce.”

Source LG Newsroom

The potential take away from this. RTX 20-Series cards might be getting a update providing HDMI 2.1!

The potential take away from this. RTX 20-Series cards might be getting a update providing HDMI 2.1!
Some HDMI 2.1 features are already implemented on HDMI 2.0.
ie ALLM, eARC, VRR
Samsung HDMI 2.0 TVs already support VRR over HDMI with AMD GPUs.
I think NVidia are tacking on support for this over HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:
Some HDMI 2.1 features are already implemented on HDMI 2.0.
ie ALLM, eARC, VRR
Samsung HDMI 2.0 TVs already support VRR over HDMI with AMD GPUs.
I think NVidia are tacking on support for this over HDMI 2.0.
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. A few odd's and end's to solidify the handshake and enable features for panels with HDMI 2.1

The other thing I had read was that these LG t.v.s don't have the actual NV G-Sync chips in them. They're using this standard to aid in being G-Sync compatible. This might actually lead to not having the usual price mark up we see with G-Sync displays.

I’ve been looking at these panels for close to three years now and this may be the impetus to go out and buy one overnight the holidays.

Hmm.

I was excited for a moment, but then I saw the details.

So its 20xx series GPU's only?

Also, what kind of refresh rate range on these LG TV's at 4k?

Hmm.

I was excited for a moment, but then I saw the details.

So its 20xx series GPU's only?

Also, what kind of refresh rate range on these LG TV's at 4k?
1440p/120hz
4k/60hz

And with HDR10/DolbyVision support.

Please update the C8! Man that would be awesome, VRR gaming at 55 inches with real HDR. Time to upgrade my monitor to a C9 lol.

Limitation is on the GPU end, not the TV end.

Once we see cards with HDMI 2.1 I expect it will go up to 4k 144Hz

Oh right, because they are HDMI only.

As disappointed as I am, it makes sense.

I wish we could have more unified (TV and PC) standards that were royalty free and always at the forefront of tech.

This whole screen thing is starting ot get old. If it's not held back by one thing, it's held back my something else....

I'll be keeping an eye out for the 65" model around black Friday.

Meh. If I can't go above 60hz at 4k, There is No point.
Probably in about 12-18 months is my guess. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they started to roll out around the time of the next console launches around Oct-Dec 2020.

I'm honestly surprised (and disappointed) the 5700's didn't come out with HDMI 2.1 and/or DP 2.0. I'd bet the 5800 (or whatever we call the nVidia killer) will probably have it.

It would have been really nice to see in RTX - at least the Super refresh if nothing else. But I'd bet Ampere has it.

Become a Patron!
Back