LG Begins Sales of World’s First 8K OLED TV

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
LG has begun selling its biggest and most impressive OLED TV, the 88Z9, which measures in at 88 inches. The set doesn’t come cheap at $42,000 ($34,000 for preorders), but it does offer a stunning 8K Ultra HD resolution (7,680 x 4,320) picture with the same infinite contrast ratio and true blacks that OLED displays are famed for. South Korea gets first dibs, but the TV is coming to North America and Europe in the third quarter of the year.

The superior performance of LG’s 8K OLED panel is enhanced by the company’s second- generation α (Alpha) 9 Gen 2 8K intelligent processor. The processor elevates picture and sound quality with deep learning technology and access to an extensive database of visual information. This allows the chip to optimize content by recognizing source quality and implementing the best algorithm guaranteeing stunningly real images. With the α9 Gen 2 8K processor, LG’s 8K 88-inch 8K OLED TV boasts enhanced processing capabilities with effective 8K upscaling and improved noise reduction to 6-steps from 4-steps in the 4K version, resulting in the most life-like 8K picture when upgrading from 4K (3,840 x 2,160) or 2K (1,920 x 1,080) content. The processor also analyzes ambient conditions to achieve the perfect level of screen brightness.

The TV doesn’t skimp on sound, either. In addition to being able to up-mix stereo into virtual surround, the 88Z9 features Dolby Atmos technology for increased immersion. It also supports the latest HDMI specification, which allows for Dynamic HDR and enhanced refresh rate options.

The LG 88Z9 increases viewer immersion with its impressive audio performance. Sound quality is boosted by an intelligent algorithm that can up-mix two-channel audio to deliver convincing virtual 5.1 surround sound. Deep learning significantly improves output by analyzing source content to produce enhanced sound effects in movies, deeper bass in music and clearer voices in sporting events. Users can adjust the sound to suit viewing conditions or let the TV set the best sound levels based on the environment.

To ensure an outstanding HDR experience the LG 8K OLED TV comes with Dolby Atmos for incredibly realistic sound and intelligently fine-tunes content compatible with Dolby Vision. The TV supports HDMI 2.1, allowing viewers the opportunity to enjoy 8K content at a fast 60 frames per second. The TV also supports automatic low latency mode (ALLM), variable refresh rate (VRR) and enhanced audio return channel (eARC).

“Being the first to market with the world’s first and largest 8K OLED TV shows our commitment to leading the ultra-premium TV segment and delivering the ultimate viewing experience,” said Brian Kwon, president of the Mobile Communications and Home Entertainment companies at LG. “LG was a pioneer in bringing OLED to market and we will continue to introduce state-of-art TV technologies that push the boundaries of what’s possible in home entertainment.”

I'm sure this thing is breathtaking to behold but I've finally reached that point of do we really need this?

Granted, two or three years from now I'll be more like "I want this". :)

I remember the infancy days of the plasma TV right around the turn of the century... co-worker wanted one badly. Was willing to pay the $13000 for something like a 32" wall-mountable.
7 years ago I bought a 60" LG plasma that was on discontinued clearance for under $900.
I'll give it 10 years, and my wallet will thank me when I finally upgrade to my first humongous 8K TV.

I remember the infancy days of the plasma TV right around the turn of the century... co-worker wanted one badly. Was willing to pay the $13000 for something like a 32" wall-mountable.
7 years ago I bought a 60" LG plasma that was on discontinued clearance for under $900.
I'll give it 10 years, and my wallet will thank me when I finally upgrade to my first humongous 8K TV.

Totally agree and these days it usually only takes around 3-4 years for the prices to drop like that. Our first 4k t.v., a 55" LG non-HDR 4k/3d, cost around $1500 at Sam's around 4 years ago and these days it's pretty easy to find deals under $500 with more features sans the 3d though. On the 3d note, however, I have read of some impressive demos in the last couple of years for glasses free 3d 8k t.v.'s in the pipeline. Most recently were some shows last year.

So who is producing 8k content to take advantage of this 8k screen?
Unless you are in Japan there is none.
Blu Ray doesnt support it and streaming isnt good enough quality to make the most of 4K let alone 8K.

The only use is a PC display.
No gfx card can do it justice yet and multi card sucks for the most part.
That leaves people who need the screens real estate as the only feasible selling point.
Putting it bluntly there is no mainstream use for this, not for many years. Even then you will need a huge display and the room to put it in to get the benefit.
The pixel race will end soon.

Unless you are in Japan there is none.
Blu Ray doesnt support it and streaming isnt good enough quality to make the most of 4K let alone 8K.

The only use is a PC display.
No gfx card can do it justice yet and multi card sucks for the most part.
That leaves people who need the screens real estate as the only feasible selling point.
Putting it bluntly there is no mainstream use for this, not for many years. Even then you will need a huge display and the room to put it in to get the benefit.
The pixel race will end soon.

As a PC display, it would probably be pretty awful. You'd have to use font scaling on that and as you pointed out, it would suck for games. For productivity, it could be a winner in some respects, but for the price I'd grab a couple of 40"+ 4K sets and call it a day.

Become a Patron!
Back