LG Display Is Developing a 31.5″ 4K OLED Panel with 480 Hz Refresh Rate and DFR (Dynamic Frequency and Resolution) Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
LG Display, the display arm of LG Corporation, is currently developing a 31.5-inch 4K (3840 x 2160) OLED panel that supports refresh rates as high as 480 Hz, according to sources with TFT Central. It will reportedly be the first to support DFR (Dynamic Frequency and Resolution), a new technology that lets users prioritize between resolution or refresh rate. A 27-inch version of this OLED panel has also been discussed, and while it's unclear whether it'll actually be made, it would, naturally, feature an even higher PPI. Additionally, TFT Central has outed a number of other panels that LG Display and Samsung Display are currently developing, including a 45-inch ultrawide panel with 5120 x 2160 resolution and 165 Hz refresh rate.

See full article...

I just want a 42 inch oled panel to replace my 2 1440p's.

If they'd make a 5120x1440 version of this at 35-40" I'd be very interested and I'd be very happy with it too only being 120 Hz as long as it supported G-Sync. The 45-inch version is still too big for my tastes. I've noticed with the C2 that 42" is about as large as I want for my desktop.

Why does the screen need dynamic resolution?

Why does the screen need dynamic resolution?
I think it's a way of saying it will sync it's frame rate with the device. So if you have an blue ray player that doesn't send sync signals a la Nvidia or Freesync or what have you it has it's own sync method.... maybe?

I think it's a way of saying it will sync it's frame rate with the device. So if you have an blue ray player that doesn't send sync signals a la Nvidia or Freesync or what have you it has it's own sync method.... maybe?
Well that's what VRR has always done - and this is labeled as Frequency AND Resolution.

Wonder if it's that "screen won't blank when the computer changes full screen resolution modes" thing.

I just want a 42 inch oled panel to replace my 2 1440p's.
So I did this, replaced 2 x 27" 1440's with a 43" 4K (LED though, not OLED). For general usage and gaming, I feel this is the better choice. However, for productivity / work stuff.... 2 is probably better for more screen real estate for multiple windows open. 4K feels more like 2 x 1080 than 2 x 1440. I know math wise it is 4 x 1080 but it doesn't "feel" like that to me

Last edited:
So I did this, replaced 2 x 27" 1440's with a 43" 4K (LED though, not OLED). For general usage and gaming, I feel this is the better choice. However, for productivity / work stuff....
I’ve been really tempted to do this but the work case you mention is the only thing holding me back

So I did this, replaced 2 x 27" 1440's with a 43" 4K (LED though, not OLED). For general usage and gaming, I feel this is the better choice. However, for productivity / work stuff.... 2 is probably better for more screen real estate for multiple windows open. 4K feels more like 2 x 1080 than 2 x 1440. I know math wise it is 4 x 1080 but it doesn't "feel" like that to me
Yea that's kinda what's been holding me back too. I love the two monitor thing.

Some how we always can afford her collectable nick nack bs. *grumble*
Mine basically just waits for me to succumb to something I want to use as an excuse for whatever is next on her lists (yes multiple). That unfortunately means it also falls on me to enforce some kind of fiscal responsibility which isn't a strong point for me, but definitely better than hers.

Become a Patron!
Back