Lucky kid gets 4080 with first paycheck

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
I thought this was a sweet story but as one person commented, "GPU additiction is ------- drug." that I, and more than few others, can definitely relate to.

1673113518726.png

For my first job I wasted my summer for $170/month (adjusted for inflation). Thankfully I only did one month, it was worse than prison. At least in prison you can sit down, but my tyrant of a boss was immediately on my neck if I just sat down for 10 minutes even when there was nothing to do in the shop.

I also don't remember what I spent it on. It was after time when I stopped asking for and getting LEGOs. PC was a thing but it was before the time I started buying my own PC parts and building my own PC so it couldn't have been that either. I have absolutely no clue. It must have been girls and booze :D

I may not remember the 1st but I can accurately say that per my Bio here it wasn't long after(1978-80) I got a used Atari (pre-VCS model) and then a used Atari 400 which started the journey from then to now with PC hardware. It was also around then that I purchased my 1st color TV from a pawnshop right before we moved overseas and ended up giving it to my brother.

I don't really recall what I spent my 1st paycheck on either. I was an Atari kid for sure so probably something along that line. I do remember buying the original NES not long into my early working career. Didn't really get into PC's until around the mid 90's.

I bought a new lawn mower with my first paycheck* to reinvest the capital into my money-making venture. I mowed lawns for neighbors (suburban neighborhood), and the grass grew inches by the day, so mowing twice a week was not unheard of. The new mower had four wheels and a motor and sure beat the heck out of the old manual push model owned by, and borrowed from, my parents. The new mower provided the additional benefit of less required raking since it had a bagging attachment.

* Not so much of a paycheck as it was savings from cash earnings.

My money making venture was buying a CD Writer in the relatively early days. I got a loan from my parents, and it managed to make about double it's own price in profits in a few months. It wasn't drug dealers coming to my house, but literally writable disc dealers who sold them in bulk from the trunks of their cars. There was a vivid grey market for writable media as our government decided to put a tax* on it, which could easily be more than the actual cost of the disc in later years when prices dropped. By then I was only burning discs for myself as the market dried up with cheap CD-RW drives, but still why pay $1 for a disc when I could get it for 25c?

*which tax is still in effect today, only expanded to every portable device capable of holding digital data, including external hard drives, memory cards, and usb sticks, heck even MP3 players had it when those were still a thing.

As for mowing lawn, I had enough of that at our weekend house, it literally took all weekend to complete it. That property not only had a huge lawn inside it, but it had three street fronts all of which also needed to be mowed. Now that I think of it how much I did that for free, I feel exploited. Child slave labor!

Last edited:
There was a vivid grey market for writable media as our government decided to put a tax* on it, which could easily be more than the actual cost of the disc in later years when prices dropped. By then I was only burning discs for myself as the market dried up with cheap CD-RW drives, but still why pay $1 for a disc when I could get it for 25c?

*which tax is still in effect today, only expanded to every portable device capable of holding digital data, including external hard drives, memory cards, and usb sticks, heck even MP3 players had it when those were still a thing.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!
It's the "piracy tax", of course that's not what it's called, but it is the mos apt description. We know you will put copyrighted music and films on these, therefore we preemptively punish you for it and distribute a part of the proceeds among registered musicians and filmmakers. It's basically a disgusting mafia started and controlled by one of the biggest domestic music celebrities.

It's the "piracy tax", of course that's not what it's called, but it is the mos apt description. We know you will put copyrighted music and films on these, therefore we preemptively punish you for it and distribute a part of the proceeds among registered musicians and filmmakers. It's basically a disgusting mafia started and controlled by one of the biggest domestic music celebrities.
Good gawd man!

I’ve heard Canada does the same thing on pretty much all blank media

1st paycheck - pretty sure the only right answer is H&B

Become a Patron!
Back