MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries to Launch Without NVIDIA RTX or DLSS Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MechWarrior fans who desire the best shadows and reflections that current gaming technology can offer are in for a wait. In a recent interview with Russ Bullock, president of developer Piranha Games, Wccftech learned that the fifth installment, Mercenaries, would not be launching with ray-tracing or DLSS support. Not too long ago, producer Alexander Garden had admitted that the game could barely break 1080p 30 FPS with reflections enabled, but the team appears to have made some headway in terms of resolution/optimization.

As to RTX, we just found out yesterday that we're not going to have RTX at launch. There is a large committed effort to bring RTX to MechWarrior as soon as possible post-release. I am afraid that is all the details I have on the matter as of this time. Since our game release is so close to the Christmas break I would expect there to be an update very early in the new year.

Yay maybe it'll actually run well as they care about performance instead of marketing BS. Sadly they decided to waste engineering time working on this in the first place... Money talks I guess.

I'm sure they got "development support" from nVidia to implement it - probably in the way of cash money.

Doesn't bother me they didn't include ray tracing, it's not the right application for it, but dev's are only limiting themselves by not including DLSS. Sure when not done properly it can cause IQ issues but when done right it can help substantially with fps and IQ. A game having 1080p/30fps performance metrics sounds a like a prime candidate for using extra hardware to improve performance.

I've spent a lot of time testing combinations of RT on/off, from medium to ultra, and then DLSS on/off with both my 2080TI and 2080 Super, in 4k and 1440p, with Metro Exodus and SOTTR. Ultimately if I want frames I'll turn off RT, leave DLSS on, then tweak some other settings. Doing so gets the job done and honestly, when balanced correctly, IQ is unnoticeable to DLSS off while gaining frames.

Become a Patron!
Back