Microsoft Could Be Buying Discord for More than $10 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
discord-logo-white-purple-background-1024x577.jpg
Image: Discord

Microsoft is in discussions to buy popular instant messaging and digital distribution platform Discord for more than $10 billion. That’s according to a report published by VentureBeat, whose sources have revealed that Discord has reached out to multiple parties regarding a potential sale. While other tech giants such as Amazon, Twitter, and Google have been named, Bloomberg seems confident that Microsoft is the front runner.

“Two sources familiar with the matter said that Discord is exploring its options for a sale in the wake of interest from multiple parties that want to buy the company,” VentureBeat reported. “And one source said the company has signed an exclusive acquisition discussion with one party, meaning it is in final...

Continue reading...

Maybe they should spend some of that money on making more xboxes so one can buy a console still this decade.

Microsoft seems to spend a lot of money to get more people into their ecosystem which you can't get in due to no available hardware

Another one bites the dust...

RIP:
Skype.
Nokia.
Lionhead.
Bungie.

This will be great alongside Mixer...

It will be fine, until you start getting O365 required integration

** edit

All that said, and while Microsoft has a long history of acquisitions gone south, there are a (very) few where they have taken a lighter touch and they haven't died off. Mojang comes to mind - they haven't killed off Minecraft, but they also haven't tried to force it into the Microsoft mold.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about this. Are we going to have to use Microsoft accounts to log into Discord?? And are we going to start seeing advertisement based on our conversations on discord?

This should go over as well as Skype did... you know, the pioneer of internet voice and video chat that MS destroyed right as the global pandemic made similar plats like Zoom hog all the glory....

And what did we get? Teams. F*cking Teams. I hate it so much.

This should go over as well as Skype did... you know, the pioneer of internet voice and video chat that MS destroyed right as the global pandemic made similar plats like Zoom hog all the glory....

And what did we get? Teams. F*cking Teams. I hate it so much.
I develop a fresh hatred for Skype for Business every time I use it.

We're getting Teams installed literally tonight.

Well .. how's GitHub doing since its acquisition?
That one seems to be doing well enough. Not made it to the 'extinguish' stage yet I suppose.

:D

I develop a fresh hatred for Skype for Business every time I use it.

We're getting Teams installed literally tonight.

Teams can do multiparty video & voice calls like Zoom fairly well. Where it blows is the way it tentacles into Outlook and your system... it's not like a basic chat like business Skype was. It is great if you want 9000 team chats you can never get rid of in your chat program (you can "hide" them but they never go away, just hiding under the surface waiting for someone to reply to all and it pops back up), and it makes doing simple things like just chatting with 1 other person difficult. It records everything, forever to the cloud one assumes. And they added a layer of meme/gif BS into it so team chats devolve into reddit meme battles. I'm probably not describing my hatred of it properly.

I have refused to install it on my phone but a lot of people do. That's all I need is work tracking my every move/email/call/chat 24x7. I hope they don't force us to do phone installs.

I have refused to install it on my phone but a lot of people do. That's all I need is work tracking my every move/email/call/chat 24x7. I hope they don't force us to do phone installs.
They can issue me the phone, and I'll take it out of the RF wallet when I'm on the clock. They're not getting stuff on my personal phone without a warrant.

It is great if you want 9000 team chats you can never get rid of in your chat program (you can "hide" them but they never go away, just hiding under the surface waiting for someone to reply to all and it pops back up)
Sort of like when someone replies randomly in an email thread on gmail that has around a hundred conversations going on it all comes up.

Become a Patron!
Back