Microsoft Ending Support for Windows 10 in 2025

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-10-hero-wallpaper-red-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

When Microsoft was preparing to release Windows 10 in 2015, one developer famously stated during a technical session that the modern operating system would be “the last version of Windows” ever. Six years later, things have changed. According to an update to its product lifecycle policies, Microsoft will be retiring Windows 10 in 2025. Support for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro editions are scheduled to cease on October 14, 2025, which suggests that they will no longer receive security and feature updates beyond that date. The news seems to confirm that Microsoft will announce Windows 11 during its special event on June 24.

Image...

Continue reading...

Has there been any rumors of Windows 11? Granted I'm not exactly the most up to date on industry news but I don't remember hearing anything about a new Windows OS.

I resisted upgrading to 10 for a long time feeling plenty satisfied with my copy of Win7 but I had to admit once I finally went to 10, I did like it better.

Hopefully with the resurgence of PC's and PC gaming, their new OS will be a lot less tablet oriented.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to it with a little excitement. We haven't been able to buy anything new in a year and a half now because of all the shortages. At least this will give us something new and shiny to play with for a while.

The year of Linux....... Heh

Oh, look, a trite meme from the early 2000's...

Let's look at where we're at now.

Supercomputer. Linux runs the entire Top 500.

Severs/Websites. 75% are Linux or variants.

Mobile. 72% is Android alone, which counts for Linux.

ChromeOS now exceeds MacOS market share.

And, of course, there's the Linux Subsystem for Windows.

Linux won. It's over. Windows might be holding onto a majority if you *only count desktops*, but given even Microsoft has moved towards supporting Linux directly on their own OS... and moving towards Cloud As a Service and hosting, yep, Linux on Azure... Even Microsoft knows that Windows has found itself facing the once unthinkable: support Linux or find yourself increasingly irrelevant. Windows on ARM failed. Twice. Windows Mobile in all of its variants are dead now. Microsoft released an Android device. So given everything that we use today, something that ISN'T running a *ix type kernel is, in fact, the minority.

All I can do is dread. As said before, if the choice is between giving up ownership of my own computer and piracy I'll choose the latter.

Linux won.
Everything except the Desktop. Microsoft won that one, and shows no signs of relenting.

Your point about ChromeOS being larger than OS X is fine, but that's a very low bar to clear - Windows is still 90%+ on desktop.

And the point about Windows getting Linux Subsystem is great - but doesn't mean Windows is turning into Linux: that's just an effort to make developers and such who have to work on all those linux-based servers and supercomputers more comfortable (probably the MS devs themselves)

If you wanted to make a good case about Microsoft's lack of dominance - I'd go back and point to the browser wars: your browser of choice probably means more for most people now than your OS of choice. Going beyond that, you could say your choice in app stores / walled gardens: if you wanted to be Club iOS, Google Store, or roll your own...

Oh, look, a trite meme from the early 2000's...

Let's look at where we're at now.

Supercomputer. Linux runs the entire Top 500.

Severs/Websites. 75% are Linux or variants.

Mobile. 72% is Android alone, which counts for Linux.

ChromeOS now exceeds MacOS market share.

And, of course, there's the Linux Subsystem for Windows.

Linux won. It's over. Windows might be holding onto a majority if you *only count desktops*, but given even Microsoft has moved towards supporting Linux directly on their own OS... and moving towards Cloud As a Service and hosting, yep, Linux on Azure... Even Microsoft knows that Windows has found itself facing the once unthinkable: support Linux or find yourself increasingly irrelevant. Windows on ARM failed. Twice. Windows Mobile in all of its variants are dead now. Microsoft released an Android device. So given everything that we use today, something that ISN'T running a *ix type kernel is, in fact, the minority.
You feel better now. Got that off your chest?

Welcome to FPS, relax a little and enjoy the forum of not so uptight, tongue in cheek people.

Become a Patron!
Back