Microsoft Is Seemingly Bringing Ads to Windows 11’s Settings Menu

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Albacore has shared a bunch of screenshots from a recent Windows 11 build (23451) that suggest Microsoft is planning to turn some portions of the Settings Menu into a billboard for its growing services. One photo of the new Home screen shows an advertisement for Microsoft 365, which is apparently available to try for free, and while that's not something anyone who's simply wanting to configure their PCs may want to see, additional screenshots allude to some further changes, including prompts for signing into a Microsoft account and updates for installed applications, such as Office 2013. Other additions that can be found in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23451 include File Explorer changes and an improved Windows Spotlight appearance, per an official blog post.

See full article...

Try doing a fresh install of Windows these days. I've had a few workstations that over time the installs have gotten corrupted and I find it a lot easier and more efficient to just do a full reset on them. Over the years I've noticed how MS keeps adding things it wants to ask you about during the installation but I'm not kidding when I say that currently, the majority of it has become like on big in-house ad with all the things I'm clicking skip, or nope, on and even then I've got to go into the notifications after I'm done and turn off more crap just so my staff doesn't get further harassed by more, and lord knows, all it takes is one friggin update from them to undo it all.

You know, if they gave away Windows for free, I could see this as being appropriate.

But they don't - you still pay licensing fees.
Maybe its not as bad in the pro version? No idea.

On 10 is hard enough to eliminate all that garbage with the weather and ' interests' or whatever. Did it once, it came back somehow, removed it again, wouldn't be surprised if its back... Im always left wondering if I'm right and it comes back or that I didn't eliminated it correctly tbh.

Meh I have some of that crap but I almost never use it... but really the weather bit is useful sometimes. Even on the Pro version it is there.

Become a Patron!
Back