Microsoft Launches AI-Powered Bing Search Engine and Edge Browser

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft wants more people to use its search engine and browser, and AI appears to be the primary tool that the company will be leveraging to accomplish that. Available in preview now at Bing.com, Microsoft has launched an all-new Bing search engine and Edge browser that's powered by AI, something that the Windows maker says enables better search, more complete answers, a new chat experience, and even the ability to generate content. Microsoft has described its new tools as an "AI copilot for the web."

See full article...

Other assistants have female names: Siri, Alexa ... So why not give the Bing assistant a friendly male name such as "Chandler".
Wait... they built AI into their edge browser? How the fudge does that work. Or did they mean the edge browsers use of the default search engine of Bing? Scrubbing for metadata much? No thank you.

Wait... they built AI into their edge browser? How the fudge does that work. Or did they mean the edge browsers use of the default search engine of Bing? Scrubbing for metadata much? No thank you.
I had to look this up. I'm guessing it's still going back out into the cloud for this and it's not running on local hardware, but you never know:

• New Microsoft Edge experience. We’ve updated the Edge browser with new AI capabilities and a new look, and we’ve added two new functionalities: Chat and compose. With the Edge Sidebar, you can ask for a summary of a lengthy financial report to get the key takeaways – and then use the chat function to ask for a comparison to a competing company’s financials and automatically put it in a table. You can also ask Edge to help you compose content, such as a LinkedIn post, by giving it a few prompts to get you started. After that, you can ask it to help you update the tone, format and length of the post. Edge can understand the web page you’re on and adapts accordingly.

I had to look this up. I'm guessing it's still going back out into the cloud for this and it's not running on local hardware, but you never know:

• New Microsoft Edge experience. We’ve updated the Edge browser with new AI capabilities and a new look, and we’ve added two new functionalities: Chat and compose. With the Edge Sidebar, you can ask for a summary of a lengthy financial report to get the key takeaways – and then use the chat function to ask for a comparison to a competing company’s financials and automatically put it in a table. You can also ask Edge to help you compose content, such as a LinkedIn post, by giving it a few prompts to get you started. After that, you can ask it to help you update the tone, format and length of the post. Edge can understand the web page you’re on and adapts accordingly.
That's kinda interesting and scary at the same time. WHERE that is running is VERY important to me. Meaning am I running that on local hardware with libraries to allow those decision trees to run even if they were 'trained' in the cloud by MS or whomever.

IF it is running locally can I restrict it from delivering that data back up into the cloud?

It REALLY bothers me from a professional standpoint the idea of just handing over sensitive data because I want to use an AI engine to interact with it.

Yep, yet another reason not to use Edge but MS has really embedded it into Windows (newsfeed and whatnot) and no matter how many ways you disable it, it always comes back like some kind of computer STD.

everything runs from the cloud.

Yep, yet another reason not to use Edge but MS has really embedded it into Windows (newsfeed and whatnot) and no matter how many ways you disable it, it always comes back like some kind of computer STD.
If you use any smartphone or any smart device that connects to the cloud, I have bad news for you... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Become a Patron!
Back